Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Just for Fun, what is the wackiest thing you have found in a vintage machine >

Just for Fun, what is the wackiest thing you have found in a vintage machine

Just for Fun, what is the wackiest thing you have found in a vintage machine

Old 04-22-2014, 06:04 PM

This popcorn was in the arm and the pillar. Machine was well cared for but not used in a long time. Every time I turned it over more popcorn fell out. Beautiful old machine, 1906 White.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:27 PM

Sunflowerzz,

My son is from Redding. Maybe the cockroaches up there like sewing machine oil??

I will try and get a picture posted of his machine. Mud dobbers do not surprise me they are everywhere. Kittens, wow!
Old 04-22-2014, 06:33 PM

Default Here is the roaches and feces of roaches

He managed to get it clean.
Attached Thumbnails russ-1952-singer-91.jpg  
Old 04-22-2014, 06:54 PM

Mines not that bad, I just got a White Family Rotary from Shop GW. It looked good in the pics, and actually it's in quite good shape. It was shipped in it's case, which amazingly survive with only 1 bent latch screw. I opened the box of attachments left rattling around underneath. Inside was an attachment that had me mistified. It had 2 positions and was spring loaded.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]472756[/ATTACH] Now I've been on the planet awhile, and rebuilt Tube hi-fi's in the past, but I din't figure it out very fast. A clue is 1 postion say 33, and the other says 45. So I'm guessing it's some kind of turntable adapter. I did spend a couple minutes trying how the heck to attach it.
The machine [ATTACH=CONFIG]472757[/ATTACH]
Now to find a link on how to thread it!...
Attached Thumbnails 2014-04-22-18.51.25.jpg   2014-04-22-18.51.16.jpg  
Old 04-22-2014, 07:01 PM

My grandfather's barber tools - his thinning shears and a straight razor. Found this in my grandmother's machine. When I received this treasure it was just as it was the last time she used it and it is still exactly like that - her buttons, bobbins, thread, scissors, etc. I have no idea why papaw's barber tools where in there but they are still there and most likely will be when I die and it goes to one of my daughters. I will haunt them if they sell that machine or its contents or if they in any other way allow it to leave the family!!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:06 PM

Not very strange but I did find a pair of scissors that had Salt Lake City School District etched on the blades and one point is broken off so I wonder if someone was injured? LOL
I have also found guarders, lace, cotton string balls and safety razor blades in the drawers
Old 04-22-2014, 07:29 PM

The worst was mice that jumped out and moved into my car vents. It cost $200 to get their huge nest out and sanitizing. The smell was awful! Salvaged garters, zippers, and elastic, buttons, marbles, game pieces, naked double edge razor blades for seam ripping and buttonhole cutting. Crackers, seeds, corn cob pipes, stamps, letters, eyeglasses, hearing aids, leaking batteries, S&H Green stamps- every drawer is a mystery treasure trove. Pretty much everything Except bobbins, parts, and the booklets I want!
Old 04-23-2014, 03:34 AM

Cathieinut, those razor blades really surprise me when I find them but thankfully most are taped on one side.
Monroe, I always love it when people say the manual comes with the machine. Rarely is it the one for the machine.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:50 AM
Power Poster

I have seen tape - stuck on tape from 50 or 70 years ago. Drives me bananas. Too cheap to get a gauge so ruin the machine????
Old 04-23-2014, 05:29 AM

I picked up a Sphinx machine from a thrift shop. At the shop they had used packing tape to attach a puzzle box( in a zip lock bag) to the machine. The tape was wrapped around what had been a perfect decal. I almost want to leave it (the tape) alone.