Kenmore 158-481

Old 11-10-2015, 03:05 PM

Default Kenmore 158-481

We found a KM 158-481 at a local thrift store yesterday for $30.00. Not bad but today is senior citizen ( old fogies ) day and that gives us 20% off the price.
My wife went back and got the machine. Talked to the manager and got it marked down to $15.00 + the SC discount. Then nailed two complete never opened bolts of fabric for a really good price too.

Anywho the machine:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]535408[/ATTACH]
came with a complete set of accessories, it's cams, an extra belt and two blubs, the slide plate, bobbin carrier and case, as well as a fine set of Wiss Pinking shears and a few low shank Singer attachments. But, no owners manual.
According to my Kenmore model number date chart this machine was made in 1963 to 1964.

The belt on it was broken, but considering how old the extra one is, it's marked $2.00, I'm going to buy a modern one and leave the old one in the package.

I'll need to rewire the cord set, the cord is hard, cracked and taped in several places, but that's no biggie, I've already got the cord handy.

What I do need is an owners manual. I've been searching all the usual places but so far, no luck finding a free one. I don't feel like paying for a reprint or a .pdf file. Anybody know where to find a free one?
Sears site does not have one, already checked.

The only bad thing is all the ZZ and cam following mechanicals are seized up tight. I've got it soaking with Tri-Flow and will let that do it's thing.

Should be a nice machine to mess with or when I'm done with it.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails img_6344.jpg  
Old 11-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Banned

not familiar with the model, but it sure looks butch
Old 11-10-2015, 03:31 PM

Cast iron body, all metal insides. Weighs a ton. Basically a good solid machine.

I found a used belt that works, and the Tri-Flow has already freed it up. Whoo Hoooo! Now I just have to figure out the way it works. It's not use intuitive - - typical Kenmore.

Joe
Old 11-10-2015, 04:49 PM

Oh, beautiful! One of my 'ones that got away'. It's built similar to the Models 35 and 47 but I had no luck looking for those manuals either. Yet. I'll try again later.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

Joe I had one similar once. I wish I had never let it go. It did not have a manual. It takes some doing to get the knobs figured out. I really liked the cams - it did things I have not seen before or since but then again, I'm not sure I was using the correct cams.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:58 AM

Miriam,

I did get the controls figured out. They are simple but in my opinion deceptive. There is only two actual adjustments, the stitch length and width. But they way you have to set them makes it appear complicated. I still want a manual, but I've got it figured out enough to use it.

And it's a high shank machine so now I can use all those high shank feet and attachments I have. I'll probably keep it just because of that. Oh, and because it's a all steel inside. I like steel gears.

Joe
Old 11-11-2015, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

Hm the one I had did an inch and a half of straight stitches then did a little design then more straight stitches. I still don't know if it was the right cams. But I sure liked that. I think it would be very cool for straight quilting.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:03 PM

Great find and great price it sounds like, lots of goodies with it too, wow. I haven't seen that model before. Have fun with it.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Hm the one I had did an inch and a half of straight stitches then did a little design then more straight stitches. I still don't know if it was the right cams. But I sure liked that. I think it would be very cool for straight quilting.
Miriam,
This one does not need a cam in it to do straight stitch or ZZ stitches. Only the decorative ones. Also if you run the stitch width to "4" with the cam in it, it will still do a ZZ stitch. At least this one is like that.

Joe