kenmore 1802 need advice

Old 01-14-2015, 07:30 PM

Default kenmore 1802 need advice

I was so excited to find this forum. I was given my late grandmothers machine. I have been searching the internet on how to use all the attachments and cams. I ordered a manual but I tend to be a hands on person in learning and it really doesn't give me much to go on. It has the tower of attachments but I don't think it has all the monogram letters.. Any advice on who to go to that isn't going to try to sell me a new machine? I also have a wonderful 221 feather weight that I use for quilting. But I would love to use the kenmore to do machine quilting so I can drop the feed dogs. My husband & I are also a collector of treadles. We have 4 that he has refinshed the cabinets. I just told him I just found him info on how to clean the machines. Yay! ( he wasn't as excited as I was..lol) Any advice on the kenmore would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-14-2015, 08:27 PM

YAY!! Welcome! Kenmore's, are awesome I have several. I can't really help ya my machines are older 1950's style. lol Congrats on your new machine.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:11 AM

What sort of questions do you have about the Kenmore? There are several people on here who are very fond of Kenmores who can probably help you out with specific questions. I recently picked up a Kenmore 1651 that I think is somewhat similar to yours (judging from a quick Google image search, anyway) but I haven't played with it a LOT yet. I used to be nervous about machines that used cams but now I find they are really FUN to use for some reason that I can't quite explain, LOL. It's amazing how strong these machines are, and how cool that yours is a family machine! That makes it extra special.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:23 PM

I am having trouble identifing some of the foots. They are hard to tell the difference. When I tried using some of the cams my needle thread keeps breaking and was trouble shooting maybe I am not using the correct foot. I would like to use some of the different stitches for crazy quilt I want to make. Also is there a walking foot you can get for the Kenmore high shanks or a good website for parts on these machines or my 221 featherweight?
Old 01-16-2015, 06:23 AM

Oh, you've got a super high shank!? Mine is not.

Yes, they do make them (walking feet for super high shank), I've seen them online. I just did a Google search ("Kenmore super high walking foot") and found one that specifically lists your machine as being compatible, but I don't know how good it is. I have no affiliation with this site, never used it, can't vouch for it...just the first hit I found, it's about the 10th foot down on the page: http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland....e/page106.html Looks like you can also get converters so you can use more standard feet on the super high shank...interesting!

If you post pictures of the feet you're having trouble identifying, someone here will likely be able to identify them for you. I can take a stab at it too, but I'm still very much a learner here.