Kenmore model 38 - need info

Old 12-03-2011, 07:32 PM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 3,140
Default Kenmore model 38 - need info

I have found (not bought yet) a Kenmore machine and I believe it is a model 38. Is anyone familiar with these? If so, do you know where the serial number would be stamped on it? If you've used one of these machines, what did you think of it? I'm not having much luck finding info on the net so would appreciate any help, info that you have to offer. Thanks a bunch.
Scakes is offline  
Old 12-04-2011, 03:35 AM
  #2  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 15,506
Default

Is it a Kenmore 385? They made quite a few of those. Look under the front for the number.
miriam is offline  
Old 12-04-2011, 04:48 AM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 1,102
Default

I know what you mean. I have a 48 and a 58 and can't find anything about them online. I do have the manual for the 48. The serial number is in the front. If it's in a cabinet, just lift it up and there it is.

Originally Posted by Scakes
I have found (not bought yet) a Kenmore machine and I believe it is a model 38. Is anyone familiar with these? If so, do you know where the serial number would be stamped on it? If you've used one of these machines, what did you think of it? I'm not having much luck finding info on the net so would appreciate any help, info that you have to offer. Thanks a bunch.
AshleyR is offline  
Old 12-04-2011, 07:01 AM
  #4  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 3,140
Default

Originally Posted by miriam
Is it a Kenmore 385? They made quite a few of those. Look under the front for the number.
I had to look up a picture of the 385. Nope, that's not what I am looking at. This one is much older. Info I have found so far indicates late 30's for production dates but that's about all I've found. The machine is not running very good but it does run. I am trying to check on some parts and see if I want to invest the time and money to fix it up. I don't really need it but I like it and it just seems to keep calling to me. LOL.

Last edited by Scakes; 12-04-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Scakes is offline  
Old 12-04-2011, 07:04 AM
  #5  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 3,140
Default

Originally Posted by AshleyR
I know what you mean. I have a 48 and a 58 and can't find anything about them online. I do have the manual for the 48. The serial number is in the front. If it's in a cabinet, just lift it up and there it is.
I have done everything but turn the machine inside out looking for a number and still haven't found it. It is in a cabinet. The light is kind of dim in the store so I am going back with a flashlight and maybe something is engraved in the metal and just not showing up in the bad lighting.
Scakes is offline  
Old 12-04-2011, 07:25 AM
  #6  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 15,506
Default

can you post a picture? All kenmores were made by somebody else.
miriam is offline  
Old 12-04-2011, 07:35 AM
  #7  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 3,140
Default

Originally Posted by miriam
can you post a picture? All kenmores were made by somebody else.
I found a picture online when I googled kenmore 38. I'll try to find it again. It was mixed in with a lot of other photos. This one was made by White -
Scakes is offline  
Old 12-04-2011, 07:52 AM
  #8  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 15,506
Default

Originally Posted by Scakes
I found a picture online when I googled kenmore 38. I'll try to find it again. It was mixed in with a lot of other photos. This one was made by White -
I'm not at all surprised it was made by White - those old machines are so easy to work on.
miriam is offline  
Old 12-04-2011, 11:57 AM
  #9  
Super Member
 
thepolyparrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mars
Posts: 2,549
Default

Originally Posted by Scakes
I have done everything but turn the machine inside out looking for a number and still haven't found it.
The number will be something like 117.XXXXX, 148.XXXXX, 158.XXXXX, 516.XXXXX or 385.XXXXX

The numbers before the period in the number can tell you who made the machine and the model number can be the first two, three, four or five numbers after the period. All of my Kenmores have little plates on the front underside with the model number stamped on them, but I only have 158 and 516 machines.
thepolyparrot is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Mornigstar
For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
29
09-04-2020 11:18 AM
MamaHen
For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
18
11-03-2016 12:04 PM
kitsykeel
For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
3
05-22-2012 06:49 AM
Tallbald
For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
1
11-22-2011 03:36 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter