Kenmore tension issue

Old 07-21-2014, 05:55 PM

Default Kenmore tension issue

I am working on a Kenmore (mechanic model) the top tension looks great, the bottom looks like it is crocheted. I have checked bobbin case, upper tension disks, timing, and have replaced needle. What the heck am I missing? I have adjusted tension and timing for 20 years and have never run into this before. It's driving me nuts!! Any suggestions as to what to try next?
Old 07-21-2014, 06:00 PM

Well, I have an old Kenmore crinkle and it turns counter-clock-wise. I don't know if yours does or not.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:17 PM

I didn't say that right. the balance wheel turns opposite of most wheels. ha.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:52 AM
Power Poster

Usually on a tension if the bottom looks loose you have a problem with the upper tension. Try changing it. You might loosen it all the way, sew, then tighten it, sew, tighten it until you get what you want. Did you clean out the bobbin tension spring and make sure that tension is set right? Make sure the correct needle is in right and thread goes the right way. There have been posts on here about setting a tension - check out archaic Annie's post. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzFX...AyBQ2l-Mzkw7ew she has other info on tensions on her blog.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:05 AM

Miriam,
I have done all the things you suggested and it still looks like crochet on the bottom. My son, who repairs machines for a living, gave me several pointers but nothing has worked. I thought perhaps I missed one small, but important, step. So far I think I have covered everything to no avail!! Thanks for you suggestions.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:06 AM

Barny, Thanks for replying. I knew exactly what you meant as I have run across several machines that turn the "wrong" way:-) Mine turns clockwise.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:07 AM

Lena1952
I'm having the same problem with my Singer 500. I've tried everything, even had it in the shop...I guess I have worn it out!?!? So found a 401 on Craigs list and will see how that goes.....
Old 07-22-2014, 10:50 AM

Stupid basic question: Have you tried contrasting threads to see whether it's the top or bottom thread bunching on you?
It might help you determine which thread isn't working properly.
Rodney
Old 07-22-2014, 03:39 PM

Rodney,
Yep, tried that too. The thread bunches on the bottom, but when using white for top and dark for bobbin, it is the white that makes the crochet loops. I have cleaned the top tension and checked to make sure it is working. I've pretty much done everything short of ripping out my hair, to no avail. This one may have beaten me:-(
Old 07-22-2014, 05:09 PM

Don't give up yet. Try to clear your mind of everything you've already done and start fresh like you just brought the machine home today. If you don't have one, try to find an owner's manual for your machine. Use the manual to verify you're threading it correctly, is the needle the right one? Is it in right? Is the groove on the thread side? Take the top tension apart again, there may be a piece of lint or a burr that's not letting the disks close properly. Pull on the thread with the foot down. Does the tension feel ok?
My Rodney machine was giving me fits a couple days ago with varying tension issues until I took the top tension apart and cleaned and oiled it. I never did find anything obvious wrong but it's been stable since.
It may be making ragged looking messed up stitches, but at least it's doing that much. You're pretty close to having it right.
I hope this helps, don't get discouraged. You'll get it.
Rodney