Kenmores and Bugs

Old 09-07-2014, 06:35 AM

The 95 and the 1760 have different shank heights and use different cam styles. Be careful when shopping for accessories and make sure you're getting the right ones! (There is an adapter for super-high shanks that will allow you to use the far more common low shank feet and attachments.)
Old 09-07-2014, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Be VERY careful cleaning the scarab decals. Follow Glenn's directions to the max.
Should I be afraid? I have not yet, done the french polish method but I will be needing to. I think the scarabs will fade to the background for awhile because the decals are in good shape and I don't want to ruin them. I will start with a machine that is more of a wreck to get a feel for his method.

I am still unsure with the french polish what can be fixed and what cannot? Heavily alligatoring? Mild cracking of the clear coat? Yellowed scrungy clearcoat? Heavy smoked finish?
Old 09-07-2014, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I have a Franklin with the Scarab decals in a parlor Cabinet. It's basically a Singer 27 copy. Singer shuttles and bobbins will fit it.
Mine is a very good sewing machine.

Both Kenmores can be cleaned and oiled and brought back to life. They'll use the same cord sets, bobbins and other things. Accessories for both are common on ShopGW.

Joe
The Kenmores will be easy peasy. One takes a plug in cord set the other is hardwired and will need a re-do but I've done a few of those. I probably have all the attachments I need. The one came with a full box of goodies, the other I will have to root around in my boxes of "stuff".

I still have my eye out for a Kenmore that can chainstitch. I have the attachment and would love to try that out!
Old 09-07-2014, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
The 95 and the 1760 have different shank heights and use different cam styles. Be careful when shopping for accessories and make sure you're getting the right ones! (There is an adapter for super-high shanks that will allow you to use the far more common low shank feet and attachments.)
I checked the Yahoo group on vintage Kenmores and they have a cam chart showing both can take the C style cams. I have a good set of those and just doing a test fit they did go in but I didn't try sewing with them. The 1760 has a metal cam installed. I haven't looked close enough at the feet to check the shank size. I'm sure I have feet around here to fit unless I am looking for something specific.

I might just have a sewing machine and sewing machines accessories addiction, ummm problem, uhhhh I mean collection..yeah that's it COLLECTION.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:10 AM

They both take C-cams? All the better! If you're OCD like myself, you'll likely want a full set of attachments with each machine.

Yes, let's keep telling ourselves we're collectors, not hoarders.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Should I be afraid? I have not yet, done the french polish method but I will be needing to. I think the scarabs will fade to the background for awhile because the decals are in good shape and I don't want to ruin them. I will start with a machine that is more of a wreck to get a feel for his method.

I am still unsure with the french polish what can be fixed and what cannot? Heavily alligatoring? Mild cracking of the clear coat? Yellowed scrungy clearcoat? Heavy smoked finish?
You will need to ask on Glenn's tutorial. Glenn fixes all of the above.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I always ask about machines. When going to a sale where sewing paraphernalia is sold You never know what they'll say. You scored very well.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:14 AM

Yes, I do too, ask about machines where sewing stuff is for sale. I have an idea that's what will happen to my "collection" and "stash" when DD and DSs have a yard sale on Ford Branch Road sometime in the future.....
Old 09-07-2014, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

Great looking machines.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:11 PM

Looks the same as my 19141 Kenmore. It does have a neat removable tray thing. I set mine in a hole so the bed is flat and then you can still reach the bobbin with the neat little cover. Have had mine since 1975 or so. Have all the cams and they are somewhat large.

I purchased a Kenmore sight unseen, am I bad or what, turns out it is a twin to my old one. It had been very mistreated but with some love and polish it is in fine shape, just no attachments or cams for that one.