Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Key for drawers in my treadle cabinet >

Key for drawers in my treadle cabinet

Key for drawers in my treadle cabinet

Old 01-25-2022, 09:14 AM

Default Key for drawers in my treadle cabinet

Hello all! My treadle is up and running but I just noticed the drawers on the right side are locked. I don't have the key (of course). Does anyone know how to unlock the drawers without the key? I tried a flat headed screwdriver but no luck. Thank you in advance.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:38 AM

the keys come in slot, triangle and square, sometimes you have to try a few different sized slotted screwdrivers to get one that will wedge correctly to get the door open.

There is also the possibility that you've got something unusual that takes a different type of key.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:56 AM

That happens to the drawers on the right side of my treadle, as well. I use a stiff card, like a credit card, to slide between the drawer and the cabinet, and push the lock out of the slot in the drawer. Works perfectly. But when I close the drawer, the lock slides back down into the drawer slot again, so I have to use the credit card each time I open it. Someday I will put some tape across where the lock slides down, and keep it from sliding down and entering the drawer slot. Someday....
Old 02-06-2022, 06:52 AM

Default unlocking your sewing machine cabinet

Originally Posted by FoggyButFocused View Post
Hello all! My treadle is up and running but I just noticed the drawers on the right side are locked. I don't have the key (of course). Does anyone know how to unlock the drawers without the key? I tried a flat headed screwdriver but no luck. Thank you in advance.
HI look in the hole of the lock mechanism and see what shape it is. I have an old white treadle mission style, actually two and a spare head and it has a triangle. I used a small flat head to open mine maybe you used a screwdriver that was too big?? Anyways cool you might find some old treasures in your locked drawers, just awesome. Thanks and have a great day.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by MarigoldCarnelian View Post
That happens to the drawers on the right side of my treadle, as well. I use a stiff card, like a credit card, to slide between the drawer and the cabinet, and push the lock out of the slot in the drawer. Works perfectly. But when I close the drawer, the lock slides back down into the drawer slot again, so I have to use the credit card each time I open it. Someday I will put some tape across where the lock slides down, and keep it from sliding down and entering the drawer slot. Someday....
Thank you for this tip! I just tried it on one of my Singer treadles and as you said "Works perfectly." I've made several keys but they don't work on all machines. I have one that I used a square bit with. The bentwood case locks have two sides, so probably need three hands to open - so two cards/hands to move the latches and one to lift up the top.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:12 AM

I was able to successfully able to get mine open with a med size flat head screwdriver. I was so long ago that I don't even think about it any more. I was blessed with another one to have a key that came with it. I found it much easier to use the screwdriver than the key.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:18 AM

Did you ever get the drawers opened? If so, did you find anything interesting?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:55 AM

I did! I used a very small flathead screwdriver. Nothing interesting in the drawers. Just some old needles and an old leather elbow patch. I was hoping for gold bars!
Old 02-17-2022, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by FoggyButFocused View Post
I did! I used a very small flathead screwdriver. Nothing interesting in the drawers. Just some old needles and an old leather elbow patch. I was hoping for gold bars!
Hahaha. You can always hope!