Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Less that hlepful store clerk

Less that hlepful store clerk

Name:  VSM Graveyard  boxes b.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  313.6 KB
    I walked in the door of an antique store 100 miles away and asked if they had sewing machines. "No, we don't." She was right about that, but look what my GF found. Some were empty. Others not. I spent some money. Also bought a beat up baritone that was still playable. Who knew?

Power Poster
    They must have had machines at some point but sold them without the accessories. Good find for you!

What will she do with so many of these? I guess I am just wondering where one could display that big of a collection. ???
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

We just got a few that went with some of our machines. We left treasures for others.

Leon I'm sending you a PM.

Cari

Blog Entries
    I see the buttonhole attachment box that's the same as mine..for a FW. It's the oval shaped one.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I see some of the ones I have collected over the years. A good find for you.

That turquoise oval box looks exactly like the buttonhole attachment I had in the 60's. I was just a kid, but I saved and saved my money and walked into a Singer store and bought it after I learned to work buttonholes by hand and was not happy with them. I used it for years with several different machines. Those were the days....
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

I guess the store wasn't really into customer service or even selling. I'd think if they had all that and someone mentioned sewing machines it would be "I don't have any sewing machines but I do have these accessories and boxes".
    Patrice S

The store was related somehow to the VSM graveyard. The baggie had three VS bobbins and shuttles I jumped on those. Now to figure out what they fit. luckily I have several VS machines. It would be nice if one fits my "new" Davis.

My GF didn't even spot this in the store. Some of you are old enough to recognize it.Name:  fabric measure tool b.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  162.1 KB I have a friend who is chasing this now.

Isn't that one of those things they used to measure fabric with at the cutting table?

Cari

[QUOTE=Cari
    I agree with your guess! They were in use when I was much younger.

I remember those too. When we went to the "Material store" and yardage was 36" wide. When did we start calling it fabric?
    Alyce

The ones they had at the J.C. Penny down in the shopping center had a "cutter" on them. They would pull the "material" through the measuring device then hit a lever. It put about a 1" nick in the "material" at the measured spot, then they would rip it the rest of the way (if it was cotton). If it was wool or some other non-rippable material, they used scissors.

I bought some fabric at an outlet a while back and an old lady about 90 cut my fabric for me. After the second cut, she just starting ripping. It was the first time in years I'd seen that.

bkay

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    I remember those too. When we went to the "Material store" and yardage was 36" wide. When did we start calling it fabric?
    My mother always called it "material". I don't know when it changed to fabric. I do remember those little machines to measure the fabric. It always fascinated me watching them run it thru.
    Patrice S

I have never seen one of those measuring things, how neat.

Personally, when talking about garments I say material ( as in "I need some new dress material") but when talking about quilts I say fabric (as in "I need some new quilt fabric. No, I don't have enough already", lol).

Quote Originally Posted by leonf View Post
    My GF didn't even spot this in the store. Some of you are old enough to recognize it. ...
    I have a friend who is chasing this now.
    I thought a "Measuregraph Counter" would be fun to have. I remember going to Penney's when I was a kid with my mother and going downstairs to the "Yard Goods" department, which of course had a couple of those. Surprisingly, the building is still there. It is now a Goodwill. It still has the same stairway with large wooden banisters.

I remember looking on craigslist for a certain kind of 'material' for something and when did a search - only got building materials, not anything that could be sewn.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Janey & John

When I was a kid a big city pleasure of mine was to go to the yard goods department and (with permission) push the button on the back that would reset the counter with a great whirr sound.

Oh my, you have all brought back memories for me. Penney's and Goldblatt's had huge sewing departments and they had a number of cutting tables with those machines. I have not thought of that in years.
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter
    Singer Lover: 1891 VS2, 1932 15-88, 1950 221-1, 1950 201-2, 1952 301, 1955 99k28, 1959 401a
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...88-albums.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
    Oh my, you have all brought back memories for me. Penney's and Goldblatt's had huge sewing departments and they had a number of cutting tables with those machines. I have not thought of that in years.
    ditto''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''

And Sears and Wards each sold motorcycles. I had a Riverside for a wile. It was fun to go to Wards and order parts.
    but back to period. My Grandad lived is a Sears house.

leonf - there are a couple of full blocks of Sears house near where I live. Every once and a while, there will be an article in the local paper regarding them. It was an interesting time to live.
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter
    Singer Lover: 1891 VS2, 1932 15-88, 1950 221-1, 1950 201-2, 1952 301, 1955 99k28, 1959 401a
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...88-albums.html