Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Lessons learned - buying on Craig's list and EBay >

Lessons learned - buying on Craig's list and EBay

Lessons learned - buying on Craig's list and EBay

Old 08-21-2013, 12:40 PM

[QUOTE=SteveH;6247397]
Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
My wife and I sell sewing machines on CL.
Just for the evidence of it here is one of my current adds. (( Moderators: This is for demonstration only, I am not selling on the forum.))/QUOTE]

Joe, I love the ad layout and completeness, but I would like to ask, is there a reason for all caps? (usually considered yelling/rude in internet circles)

Steve
Steve,

There are a several reasons for the all caps.
First, I've never considered it as shouting.

Second, I find all caps easier to read, and I know many others who do also.

Third, well over half the people who have responded to our adds can't seem to read. Currently I have three adds running. When I put in a phone number they always call and have no idea which machine they are looking at even when I put the brand and model number in the title line and at the very top of my text.

So I've tried the all caps to make it easier for some to read.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]431548[/ATTACH]
Oh, and I write with a fountain pen, and my bunged up shoulder had really messed up my hand writing.

Miriam,

Thanks for the compliment. Your helps has been very valuable.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails img001.jpg  
Old 08-21-2013, 12:42 PM

We've had pretty good luck with both ebay and CL, however there have been a few 'what the heck- do I sound stupid to you? ' questions put to us. My DH was selling a first gen. Ipad. The guy wanted to know if we would ship it to Europe as he was buying it for his nephew. Same Ipad- different person, wanted to take it home and try it out for a few days because the last one he had 'crashed'. We had an area rug, the lady said it was too far to come to my house- could I bring it into town? ( i had to pick up the DGSs at daycare. She wanted to meet me at the daycare to which I said NO. Then when I did meet her at a school, she had the nerve to ask me if I would take less. I told her I would have if she'd come to the house, but since I had to drive the truck into town to bring her the rug instead of my little car, No. We only live about 7 miles out of town and I'll bet her car got better than 17 mpg which is what my truck got. Car gets 28, but the rug wouldn't fit in there.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

Joe, I agree. They do not know how to read. I put on my ads that I do not do texts. If the ad is here, the machine is here. I will pull the ad when it is sold. I still get texts and emails wanting to know if the 'item' is still there. I do not reply.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
... well over half the people who have responded to our adds can't seem to read. So I've tried the all caps to make it easier for some to read. Joe
Cool, it certainly was not a problem. I was just curious. I see some folks do that. I have never personally considered it easier to read all caps, but that's just me.

Funny you should mention the "small caps" (first letter of each word capitalized) I do the SAME thing when handwriting. Oh, and your handwriting is WAY neater than mine. Mine could be used by the NSA for cryptology....
Old 08-21-2013, 12:45 PM

There was an ad for a desk on CL. When you clicked on the picture, all you could see was the junk piled on it! They couldn't even take the time to clean it off. And i hate the ones that say- if you're interested email me and I'll post a picture. I figure if you want to sell it you'll take numerous pictures.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:55 PM

Joe ... strangely enough that looks like a sample of my hand writing
Old 08-21-2013, 01:27 PM

I wish I lived in your areas, all of you that sell on Craig's list. I would buy your machines in a second. The closest I think I came to buying from all of you is when I bought my elna from the couple who had a room full of machines and clearly loved it when I went crazy over all of them.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:06 PM

Susan,

We just shipped a Kenmore 158-17560 to the US Virgin Islands. The buyer has told us it got there fine and she was getting it set up to use.

The only problem with shipping is it's time consuming, takes a lot of packing to make sure the machine isn't damaged, and is a bit costly. It cost $42.22 total to send it from IL to the USVI. That was with tracking and insurance. It weighed 34 lb 6.8 oz.

Joe
Old 08-21-2013, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

Joe, I ship FedX and it runs a lot more than that.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:30 PM

Perhaps I should have said we shipped that one USPS.

Joe