Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 36 of 36

Thread: Lets gather our Sewing Machine Manuals!

  1. #26
    Super Member ArchaicArcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Not Here
    Posts
    3,795
    Quote Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
    [/INDENT]
    I double-checked and it says it'll share it with anyone who has the URL. Seems I had the URL wrong. Google gave me the "signed in" version.
    Try it now: adjuster's manual for 201
    Yes, this works, but Christine says the link will expire? How long?

  2. #27
    Super Member Christine-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    Yes, this works, but Christine says the link will expire? How long?
    Ignore what I said! I thought he was referencing the google.docs link I posted, not the one you posted. Sorry for the confusion, it was all mine!
    Bernina 640, Singer 201-3, Singer Centennial 15-91, Tin Lizzie 26" long arm

  3. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    See that's the problem, I have probably over 100 manuals up there, and to research each one of them would take days. I suspect that DB and Google would just delete before checking too.
    You're right, it is a tedious process. There is one exception, and that is if the copyright date is between 1950 and 1963. For those 13 years you can use the US Copyright Office 1978-present database which searches all years. However, there may be something wrong with that database. When I search "Singer Sewing" I get only a handful of results.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    Which book did you post from? I have a number of them here, but I'd be interested in knowing what was deleted, especially if I haven't seen it. I have various parts charts here that may or may not be public domain, I know that they say on them that they're or Singer employees only, etc.
    I mis-spoke, it's not really a parts list but a chart of feet/attachments with part numbers, geared towards the consumer. You've probably seen it -- it's "Machine Sewing [something, something]", copyright 1948. It's Singer's form # 1876, published multiple times from the teens through the 60s, with slightly different titles. The latest version I have is the "Teacher's Textbook of Machine Sewing" (softcover), copyright 1960. The parts chart in 1948 and 1960 are virtually identical. I've checked a bunch of years and couldn't find any renewals. The 1960 book has all new illustrations (compared to the prior years) and it was not renewed. I suspect that Singer did not renew the copyrights because they were superseded with new copyrights, and in 1988 they considered the 1960 book to be so out-of-date that they did not bother. But I'm just guessing.
    Sheila

  4. #29
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    I printed one out!!! Thank you. Now some time I can work on the 201 I picked up.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  5. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    476
    PS -- If you're not violating copyright, Google is not likely to remove it. One can report to Google that his rights have been violated, but not the rights of someone else. If the (previous) owner knows that their copyright has expired, they're not likely to make a false report. They would lose credibility because it's public information and not hard to verify. Google is on a mission to make non-copyrighted publications available to the public. QB is a different story.
    Sheila

  6. #31
    Super Member manicmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,867
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    If I was closer to you, I'd offer to scan them and turn them into PDFs, but,.. uh... 3300kms (2050mi) one way assuming I didn't get lost at all... that's a lotta driving.
    Hey Tammi, there's this thing called postage I heard was really popular last century
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family (1886) 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 96k41 (1947) 103K (1950) 2 x 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959) 331K4 (1964) 451K145 (1960)
    Pfaff:360 (1959) Necchi Supernova Julia http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

  7. #32
    Super Member manicmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
    PS -- If you're not violating copyright, Google is not likely to remove it. One can report to Google that his rights have been violated, but not the rights of someone else. If the (previous) owner knows that their copyright has expired, they're not likely to make a false report. They would lose credibility because it's public information and not hard to verify. Google is on a mission to make non-copyrighted publications available to the public. QB is a different story.
    It all makes sense sometimes, doesn't it? Nobody's making or losing money out of sharing this information so there's no theft. Singer offers their manuals as downloads anyway and the only reason Baer and Rempel (for example) don't is that they don't exist.
    There's only winners and if someone finds that some stuff they bought 30 years ago includes copyrights for things that haven't quite expired yet but are being shared, what will they do? Sue someone who has no money and is only trying to help other people? No. Even if anyone is this type of evil it still has to start with a "cease and desist" letter and there's no lost earnings. People are so frightened when it comes to copyright and it's unnecessary. You're more likely to be sued for selling second hand original manuals or the PDF versions: The former because you're doing Singer out of $15 (they sell some paper manuals) and the latter because you are actually stealing (charging money for someone else's work) unless you're paying royalties.
    The reason humans are such a successful animal is because they share information freely. There was a time it was restricted in our recent history so that only the wealthy had access, and this was known as "the dark ages".
    OK, end of rant
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family (1886) 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 96k41 (1947) 103K (1950) 2 x 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959) 331K4 (1964) 451K145 (1960)
    Pfaff:360 (1959) Necchi Supernova Julia http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

  8. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    476
    No one is stealing $15 from Singer by selling a photocopy or PDF. If it's in the public domain, it belongs to everyone. Anyone can sell a copy for whatever price they can get. Second-hand originals are also perfectly legal to sell. Copyright rules apply only to the first sale.
    Sheila

  9. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
    Hey Tammi, there's this thing called postage I heard was really popular last century
    But it's so expensive now -- it's cheaper to buy a scanner!
    Sheila

  10. #35
    Super Member manicmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
    But it's so expensive now -- it's cheaper to buy a scanner!
    Ha ha! You're funny yes it might well be. Postage has gone up so much these last few years. I understand what you say about the manuals too: I'm sure Singer aren't losing business because of the PDFs (or else they wouldn't allow a DL) but they are if someone sells an original one. It's really nice to have a printed manual *and* the PDF and printing your own is a poor second best option (I hate the blind stitch attachment manual that I printed).
    Good to know that it's OK to re-sell the manuals too. Keeps the postal service happier.
    I see on a lot of documents that resale is not permitted or legal.
    Those PDF sellers on eBay really get to me, particularly when the PDF has been copied from someone like me, who gives it away.
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family (1886) 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 96k41 (1947) 103K (1950) 2 x 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959) 331K4 (1964) 451K145 (1960)
    Pfaff:360 (1959) Necchi Supernova Julia http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

  11. #36
    Super Member ArchaicArcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Not Here
    Posts
    3,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
    You're right, it is a tedious process. There is one exception, and that is if the copyright date is between 1950 and 1963. <snip>

    I mis-spoke, it's not really a parts list but a chart of feet/attachments with part numbers, geared towards the consumer. You've probably seen it -- it's "Machine Sewing [something, something]", copyright 1948. It's Singer's form # 1876, published multiple times from the teens through the 60s, with slightly different titles.
    Well I think what I'm going to do is make available what I have. The pdfs I have have all been digitized by someone else, with a couple of exceptions, and those have my name on them, so I can track the people who take them and try to sell them.

    I don't think I've seen that chart, no, but I suppose I could look it up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
    PS -- If you're not violating copyright, Google is not likely to remove it. One can report to Google that his rights have been violated, but not the rights of someone else. If the (previous) owner knows that their copyright has expired, they're not likely to make a false report. They would lose credibility because it's public information and not hard to verify. Google is on a mission to make non-copyrighted publications available to the public. QB is a different story.
    If I have trouble with DB I will move the stuff to google. It seems to me that they're more likely to be friendly.

    Quote Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
    Hey Tammi, there's this thing called postage I heard was really popular last century
    When it costs me more than $12 to send 2 tubes of Singer lube to the province next door, I shudder to think of what it would cost to ship service manuals back and forth.

    Quote Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
    Those PDF sellers on eBay really get to me, particularly when the PDF has been copied from someone like me, who gives it away.
    Those ones make me crazy! I wish I could post a comment on every one of those auctions pointing to the original file they are selling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.