Light for my treadle

Old 01-31-2018, 12:19 PM

Default Light for my treadle

My DH brought me home this light from Ace Hardware. It has a magnet on the end that works very well. It is called the “Big Larry”. [ATTACH=CONFIG]588151[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2046707e-932f-4358-b910-0fb6a0cf5bab.jpeg  
Old 01-31-2018, 05:15 PM
Banned

I love it! I'm going to get one of those for checking my bobbin stitching on my long arm. I have one of those almost square bright LED flashlights that are a freebie all the time at Harbor Freight, and it is bright, but it's so small I have to hold it close to the fabric and then it's too bright. I think I could put this one on the floor and still have the light I need.

Cari
Old 01-31-2018, 05:32 PM

The best thing is it does not shine in my eyes! It is so simple with its heavy-duty magnet on the end. The downsize is I am not the best at turning lights off so I will need to keep AA’s on hand. The other is there are three settings: hi, low, and red strobe emergency. To turn off have to have gone through all three. So if on high when using, have to click to low and then again and get a flash of strobes, then off. Not a big deal unless that quick moment of flash bothers you. But it is the best ever to sew by! Finally a remedy where it doesn’t even get in my eyes when face close to machine to thread needle. It was pricey but I don’t care as I am happy, happy, happy. It comes in a box the shape of the light. Brand “NEBO” BIG Larry. Oh, and it does not wobble or shake while treadling.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:04 PM

Lots of light! Neat find, no cords or anyting. Does you machine have a spot where a bracket or screw for a light should go? Sometimes they did. I know treadle 66s often come with a Singer lamp, but it adds the problem of an electrical wire that needs to be plugged in some where. . These days there's LED replacement bulbs available.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
Lots of light! Neat find, no cords or anyting. Does you machine have a spot where a bracket or screw for a light should go? Sometimes they did. I know treadle 66s often come with a Singer lamp, but it adds the problem of an electrical wire that needs to be plugged in some where. . These days there's LED replacement bulbs available.
No screw but it could easily have one of the lights that is on the electric version attached. But, the light is to the back and casts a shadow when threading. This solution the light is coming from the direction I like. I have tried so many types of lighting; hated the clip on the back of the cabinet as then the stuff working on could not flow off the back. This actually fits under the arm of the machine as well and would be great for someone who lifts their foot lever up with their left hand. My husband is gonna check to see if they have a shorter version (If a “Big Larry”, maybe a “Tiny Larry”) to try out on under the arm, even though I told him I love this alternative and won’t like the other way.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:11 AM

My Viking 6430 has a light built into the underarm area that lights the entire sewing area. This has always been one of my favorite features on this machine. I also have several Ott Lights for use with my other machines (corded and battery operated).
Old 02-01-2018, 07:16 AM

Paint it glass black and add gold trim decals... Wouldn't that be fun.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:43 AM

It's nice to know you have found a good solution yobrowsew. A Tiny Larry would mean half the wattage too, there's always an advantage to the large ones.

I have a belt driven 201K, the light mounting is in the back, much the same as on the 99 and 66. I like it, doesn't interfere with anything it shines down on the inside of the bed. In addion I keep an adjustable reading lamp with 40W halogen bulb next to the cabinet, it still has the best ligh of anything I have tried. I have tried all kinds of bulbs, I have ended up with a quite a large corn cob type LED. The only time I fuzz with light is when I sew black thread, black fabric on a black machine. It absorbs way too much lumen and needs to be compensated
Old 02-01-2018, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
Paint it glass black and add gold trim decals... Wouldn't that be fun.
I thought of that, too! I am torn though, as I love the military and our veterans and our flag; don’t know if I could bring myself to paint over it. DH may have to buy me another one that isn’t flag themed. (If they have other designs).
Old 02-01-2018, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
It's nice to know you have found a good solution yobrowsew. A Tiny Larry would mean half the wattage too, there's always an advantage to the large ones.

I have a belt driven 201K, the light mounting is in the back, much the same as on the 99 and 66. I like it, doesn't interfere with anything it shines down on the inside of the bed. In addion I keep an adjustable reading lamp with 40W halogen bulb next to the cabinet, it still has the best ligh of anything I have tried. I have tried all kinds of bulbs, I have ended up with a quite a large corn cob type LED. The only time I fuzz with light is when I sew black thread, black fabric on a black machine. It absorbs way too much lumen and needs to be compensated
Thank you for mentioning the black-on-black; Here I have been cranking up the light to see better and this is the wrong solution. Just tested my light on a sample of black-on-black and the low setting works better, drastically better than the high. I have been approaching the problem incorrectly all these years, so a big thanks!