Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Light on Singer 99

Light on Singer 99

How do you take apart the original light on a vintage 99

Andy Tube on YouTube (not affliated) has a detailed video about the spotlight on the 99k. Hope it will help you. https://youtu.be/xNy0E3LVEHU

Blog Entries
    Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Though it should be ponted out there are several versions of lights.
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal

I have the older version with the long slender Singer lamp. There's two rings on the end where the wire comes out. They need to come off, poking gently with a screw driver or if you have a swiss knife with a can opener like in the video. The end of the wires is soldered on to the copper plate connection parts, when it comes appart you see how it works. The slender Singer lamp is less prone to problems with the light switch.

Blog Entries
    Try not to break the lense. You might look for a LED lightbulb.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Try not to break the lense. You might look for a LED lightbulb.
    I bought a screw-in LED bulb to try in mine, but, since the light comes out of the side of the bulb, it wasn't very bright. I was hoping it would work since the lens gets really hot with the stock bulb.

Jim

Blog Entries
    There are some replacement lamp kits out there that might work great with the LED bulbs.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy Jim View Post
    I bought a screw-in LED bulb to try in mine, but, since the light comes out of the side of the bulb, it wasn't very bright. I was hoping it would work since the lens gets really hot with the stock bulb.

Jim
    What type of bulb did you get? The more slender B15 bulbs tend to be "corn cob" type, make sure the square yellow light emitting bits is placed evenly all around. If you need the golf ball type E14 bulb (E27) make sure the diodes point outwards. The last few years there's even more types of LED bulbs available.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-03-2019 at 03:52 PM. Reason: remove copyright pic, should have used link

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
    What type of bulb did you get? The more slender B15 bulbs tend to be "corn cob" type, make sure the square yellow light emitting bits is placed evenly all around. If you need the golf ball type E14 bulb (E27) make sure the diodes point outwards. The last few years there's even more types of LED bulbs available.
    The one I got must be the B15 type. I looked up the E14 and it looks like that would work better. The best way to go might be a new lamp kit, as you mentioned earlier. Thanks for the info.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy Jim View Post
    ... The best way to go might be a new lamp kit, as you mentioned earlier. Thanks for the info.

Jim
    No, I keep the original lamp unless there's something wrong with it and it can't be fixed. I posted a few embedded pictures but they are gone now. If you could get it in to the socked, it was probably correct B15 (bayonet socket). The E14 is threaded screw in type. When you go for led, the main thing is to get the light emitting parts in the right place. LED should in general give much more light regardless of the type of lamp you have, just get the right bulb.