Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Look it what I'm getting for free ...... update

Joe,
    You made the lovely Singer 9W a very happy girl. She looks so pretty in her restored cabinet. Wonderful restoration!
    Sharon

Blog Entries
    Joe you did a very good job on the cabinet. The top looks fine and is keeping with the look of a cabinet of that age. Pat youself on the back for a job well done.

Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

You did a great job! I have the same cabinet with a Singer Sphinx in it and I'm still working on the machine...
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Joe, you did a fantastic job! She is a beauty! I have a suggestion where you could store it, MY HOUSE!! LOL!
    Aronel aka Lee

Wow, nicely done Joe.
    Dance like no one is watching

Terrific job - well done.

I love Miss Millie - she's beautiful and looks like she'd be great at cuddling!

It really looks like a beautiful job. I think you did great. Those old Singers if I had known then what I know today I would have kept my Grandmother's they probably sew better. Can't help you with the wheel. Good luck ginding it. Sue

Blog Entries
    Beautiful job on the table! Too bad you were in Ft Wayne under not so pleasant circumstances. I live in Ft Wayne and would have loved to meet another board member!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Unbelievable ~ great job. Sometimes the veneer can be repaired by inserting glue underneath & putting something heavy on top to press it together,

Job very well done. Oh, my, I can't believe the work involved. Looks like it was worth every minute of work put into it. Thanks for sharing, and when you get to that jelly roll, I'll be watching for a pic, also.

fantastic job! i can't believe how beautiful the finish turned out! if you're ambitious, you could paint the "singer" gold on the treadle iron . . . Millie looks like a sweetie. it's good luck to have a cat inspecting the work, you know!

oregongirl,

About the only time I don't want the kitties inspecting what I'm doing is when it's hazardous. Other wise I enjoy their company.

berrypatch,

That's how I repaired about 80% of the cabinet. I used either a hack saw blade or a plastic credit card to work the glue under the layers of wood, then clamped them down.

When I get the quilt under way I'll be sure to do some pics. But it will be a while as I'm already in the process of making two for my Aunts. I gotta it them done by or before Thanksgiving.

Joe

Blog Entries
    When we got down to the second picture, there was a chorus of "WOW's". It sure looks beautiful!
    Please post your pet's - past and present -pictures at http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...ds-t32280.html

Awesome job on the cabinet. It is beautiful.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

As always you did a great job~enjoy your pretty machine.

You did a fabulous job, Joe! Congrats!

Great job..and it does sew great..was it hard getting used to pedaling?
    Diana
    Tranquil Quilting

Quote Originally Posted by DianaSwi View Post
    Great job..and it does sew great..was it hard getting used to pedaling?
    Diana
    Tranquil Quilting
    When I first started peddling or treadling I had fits. I couldn't get the rhythm right. The machine ( Singer 66-4) kept stalling then it would spin backwards and break the thread. I think I sat at Treadle #1 for a month off and on trying to get the hang of working with the machine, just getting more and more frustrated.
    Then one evening I was trying to sew something and after the third stall and broken thread I put my foot on the treadle and started spinning the hand wheel by hand as I let my foot set there. Then when I started to treadle it wanted to stall and I kept spinning the hand wheel to prevent it.
    All of a sudden, and I mean that literally, my entire system got the idea. My brain and foot finally connected and I was treadling. It took a couple more days of doing it to get it down pat.
    Now I just sit down and do it. The hardest thing to remember is; am I using a machine that rotates towards or away from me?

Joe

You did a wonderful job refinishing it. I have my mother's treadle Singer that my dad traded a shotgun for in 1917. I see a refinishing project in my future. I need the guide that keeps the belt in the track; it got broken or lost in its many moves by my daughter. When I am ready, I'll look for the part and see if I can fix her up.

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    When I first started peddling or treadling I had fits. I couldn't get the rhythm right. The machine ( Singer 66-4) kept stalling then it would spin backwards and break the thread. I think I sat at Treadle #1 for a month off and on trying to get the hang of working with the machine, just getting more and more frustrated.
    Then one evening I was trying to sew something and after the third stall and broken thread I put my foot on the treadle and started spinning the hand wheel by hand as I let my foot set there. Then when I started to treadle it wanted to stall and I kept spinning the hand wheel to prevent it.
    All of a sudden, and I mean that literally, my entire system got the idea. My brain and foot finally connected and I was treadling. It took a couple more days of doing it to get it down pat.
    Now I just sit down and do it. The hardest thing to remember is; am I using a machine that rotates towards or away from me?

Joe
    Most of the old sewing books tell you to sit with both feet together. When I did that it seemed like it "loped." My grandmother taught me to sit with one foot toward the front of the pedal(away from you) and one foot on the edge(closest to you) That way you kind of alternated your feet and had a smooth rhythm. Still have slim ankles from all that treadeling. LOL
    If the belt is tight enough you should have no problem with it coming off.
    And, towards you to go forward and back for reverse. LOL
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

Glenda,

I've tried the foot placement you mentioned. Left foot still got ahead of the right so my two foot treadling is at best awkward, at worst unworkable.
    The belt on this machine came from another treadle that I put the aquarium belt on as an experiment. It fits very nice. No problems there.

And the 9W-7 rotates backwards from other Singers. The hand wheel rotates away from you to sew, towards you to break the thread and snarl up the bobbin. LOL

Joe

Beautiful job. I don't see anything wrong with the top in your pictures. I wish I had your patience.

It's fabulous! I've always wanted a treadle in a cabinet, but have no idea where I would put it.
    Karen in Kentucky

Karen,

In reality they are not that big. For instance my #2 Singer 66 treadle cabinet is only 18" deep X 36" wide. There are smaller ones too. Of course when you open it you need to have room for the hinged lid. One treadle doesn't take up much room.
    The problem comes in when you have 2 treadles and 4 cabinet machines in a small room. Things get a bit cramped then.

Joe

LOL x 2

A couple days ago my wife wanted to know where the pics were of the cabinet and machine. I showed her and she put a Photobucket link for it. Turns out the link she put in gave access to my entire sewing machine folder.
    Before she even sent the email I mentioned that M would probably want the machine back after seeing the pics.

Wife got an email last night and woke me up as I was just getting off to sleep .... SIL was asking if we'd be willing to trade it or sell it back to her. HA!!! No chance of that. I got way too much work in it.
    Besides the machine she wanted to trade us for the treadle was a plastic computerized Singer. Not interested.

So then in the same email she asks about a 66-1 back clamp machine that's in MI. Nice machine, but it and the cabinet has issues.
    And I'll be [email protected]^*#d if I'm gonna drive all the way to NE IN to pick up the machine, bring it home and refurb it, then take it back.
    Nope.

I hope she isn't a covert member here .....

Joe

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast