Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Looking for help for a Deployed Soldier >

Looking for help for a Deployed Soldier

Looking for help for a Deployed Soldier

Old 05-14-2013, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lara122 View Post
wow, I am in love with this board. I am also excited to share his address with my 13 year old. He got an address of a soldier for a school project, and has never received a response. My kid is a weapons NUT, and he was so excited to collect stuff to send. He was so disappointed when it came to naught.

I'll let him pour his enthusiasm here, to a soldier that will appreciate it, and deserve it! =))

thanks Steve!
Lara, All soldiers deserve to hear from us or get packages, but we should never expect a reply (they are at war), but should be thrilled to get one. Please let you son know that the soldier could have been off the base, location changed, injured, or may have never gotten his mailing. I don't think he was ignored.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:03 AM

Steve,
I am putting a HEAVY package in the mail today. I have about 16 pounds of fudge (3 pans - fudge w & w/o nuts and pbutter), some iron on patches. and a hunk of army green medium wt twill cotton he can use for back reinforcement of big rips and snags. Please email him an give him a heads up! Hope your machine efforts are working out for him as well.
Holli
Old 05-23-2013, 10:17 AM
Banned

Holli,

Thank you. (although why am "I" thanking you for sending HIM fudge....hehe)

I have been swamped with my folks being in town for the last two weeks (My edest daughter graduated from Hastings Law School) and then I had to have a minor surgery (really, sokey) I have one machine done and ready, and the other will hopefully be by the end of this weekend if all goes well.

Updates to follow!
Old 05-31-2013, 09:45 AM

Also Steve, thinking about it a machine with basic zig zag would be a big help in mending uniforms, and some material for patching from the inside.
Carol
Old 05-31-2013, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

It is somewhat hard to find a zz machine that will accept a HC
Old 06-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Banned

Ok folks. We are ready to ship this machine out to Kevin!!!

It is an Aluminum 99 clone. nice and light.

It took parts from both machines but it hums along really well now.

I must confess, I particularly like the "Made in Occupied Japan" sticker on the back under the motor...(not visible in these pics)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]416974[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]416975[/ATTACH]

It works on the motor, but if you remove the belt and drop over the arm from the handcrank, it works just as well.

I had to remove the hand crank to get it back in the case, but other than that we are good to go.

I will be putting padding inside the case as well as around it in a box within a box.

I got an email from Kevin that he was worried that it would be too expensive to ship to him, too expensive to ship back(so it would get left behind), and maybe too big. He did some searching inline and wondered if a Model 20 would be better.... I explained what a Model 20 is... and that we had folks offering to help with the costs. I am planning to include a note to tell him that "I" will pay to have it shipped back home to him when the time comes.

We will be shipping the machine out to him on Wednesday for those who are following this project.
Attached Thumbnails kevins-machine.jpg   kevins-machine-2.jpg  
Old 06-03-2013, 09:07 AM

It looks great Steve!

These are the 2 articles I used to ship a 99 in a case:
http://www.sew2go.com/packingseries.htm
http://www.whitesewingcenter.com/page9.php

When the machine arrived, it was completely intact, and she had a bit of work to do to get the lid of the case off, but everything survived Canada Post.

Do you need any haberdashery at all still? I have a darning foot and a few notions ready to ship if they're still needed, and can ship from here (as mentioned before, it would take 2 weeks to you, I might as well send it straight to him)
Old 06-03-2013, 09:47 AM

I would help with the$ too. I'm not very good on this computer, so don't give up on me. Just let me know. Okay?
Old 06-03-2013, 03:43 PM

Okay Steve. I need you to send me your mailing address. I will be glad to help you with a check for shipping or etc. Barny
Old 06-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Banned

PM'd barny.