Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Looking for repair advice - Singer 1802 >

Looking for repair advice - Singer 1802

Looking for repair advice - Singer 1802

Old 01-24-2020, 09:15 AM

Default Looking for repair advice - Singer 1802

Hello, brand new member, so apologies if this post isn't appropriate here (if it isn't, perhaps someone could point me in the right direction [besides the exit door]).

I am looking for repair advice on an old Singer sewing machine...

I picked an old Singer 1802 sewing machine at a nearly SA store. I needed something simple, and I love to repair stuff.

When I examined the machine, it was pretty much frozen (very hard to turn the hand wheel). The motor hummed, and spun freely with no load, but could not budge the machine when installed.

I could not find a service manual for this machine, but decided to try to repair it anyway. I proceeded to carefully disassemble it. As I expected, I found many spots where the lubrication had either turned into a sticky gum, or disappeared altogether. So I cleaned and lubed the machine throughout and installed a replacement motor (not OEM).

After all that, the machine would run but no way it would sew. After more research, I realized that my disassembly/reassembly likely messed up the bobbin timing (among other things I'm sure). I found some general information about bobbin timing and made that adjustment. I also discover that the black plastic bobbin case had a couple of chips around its outer rim leaving a very rough surface, and that the thread was catching on these and not flowing correctly. So, replaced the bobbin case.

As of now, the state of the machine is that it will sew a few inches, but invariably the thread from the bobbin will break. I've checked the thread tension from the bobbin case and it seems OK. I've also cleaned the thread tensioner assembly.

At this point I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. There was one adjustment that I just guessed at, lacking a real service manual for this machine...namely the needle bar height. The bar does have registration marks on it, but I could not find any manual that matched those, so I guessed.

Any help/suggestions much appreciated!
Old 01-24-2020, 09:59 AM

wow Kland, you are very ambitious. Not many would tackle that machine as a first one. Welcome to the board. many of us on this area consider machines with plastic bits to be a lot of trouble. I rarely do more than oil such ones. However, if you watch and wait there may be someone here with experience in your model or close anyway. Pictures are always appreciated here.
Good luck

Old 01-24-2020, 10:20 AM

I looked on U Tube and found a Sear's Kenmore 1802 machine, are you sure you have a Singer machine?
Old 01-26-2020, 10:17 AM

Default Can't upload pics

Ambitious? No, I just have OCD. Actually, I've never been able to throw anything out before trying to fix it first.

I took some pictures of the machine, but I'm having trouble attaching them to a reply here. I believe they all fall under the maximums for jpg's (file sizes, dimensional maximums, etc). The first time I tried to upload them, I got some sort of "....missing security token..." error. Subsequent attempts just fail with no reason given. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:31 AM

The front of the machine does show "SINGER" and "1802", so yes, I'm fairly certain that's what it is. I'm aware of the the Kenmore 1802's existence - checked that out - it's a different machine. I have some pics I'll post here once I figure out why I'm getting errors when I try to upload them.

Thank you for replying.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:51 PM

Default Follow-up: fixed!

Hi, just thought I should follow up since people were nice enough to try to help.

Took a wild guess as to the meaning of the registration marks on the needle bar (I've read that most Singer machines have two - this one has three). So set the needle bar height using the middle mark, then used the lower mark to set the hook timing (on this machine - you have to adjust set screws that a recessed with almost no room for a screwdriver).

Machine is sewing well now...thanks again for the replies.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-27-2020 at 04:42 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-26-2020, 04:49 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kland View Post
....Machine is sewing well now...thanks again for the replies.

Congratulations.

For posting images, the size limit listed when one wants to attach images is 5MB. However, it appears that it doesn't like anything that large. I believe that less than 1.9MB is the size that seems to work. The instructions to post pictures can be found at Including Images and Attachments (as of 24 Jan 2020)

Also, the icon that we used to use to attach images no longer is the one to use. One needs to be in "Advanced" or if click on the red "Reply" to go to advanced page that has a paper clip icon.

the screen for attaching images is stretched beyond the legible page size, so one has to scroll to the far right to find the "Upload" button.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-27-2020 at 04:44 AM. Reason: PatriceJ does not want negative posts about the new format
Old 01-27-2020, 05:12 AM

Thanks for posting. I'm not into collecting or working on old machines, but I love to see them and hear about them.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:25 AM

First of all Welcome to the QB from SE MIchigan. It is good to see that the restoration of this machine is coming along. I have only purchased one brand new machine in my life and that was a serger. I have plenty of machines that I have either picked up in good shape or needed mild work to be done on them. Only one machine has ever been trashed and that was because the cam shaft shattered and it was not worth trying to repair. Right now I only have one machine that the timing may be a bit off and so on that one it is resting right now until I get to where I want to tackle it.

Last edited by juliasb; 01-27-2020 at 05:34 AM.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:26 PM

Lightbulb Same Problem Singer 1802

KLAND - I see where you found the fix. I'm having the exact same problem with my Singer 1802. I've tried adjusting to the three marks on the needle bar with no luck. I don't understand what you mean by adjusting the bobbin? I've taken it apart and see the two small screws for tension. Tension seems fine, but the needle will not grab the bobbin thread.I know it's the hook timing, but I don't understand what you mean by setting the hook. If you still monitor this thread can you walk me through it?