Machine Shed progress

Old 11-22-2014, 04:05 PM

Default Machine Shed progress

We've finally had some warmer weather, and made more progress. It's suppose to snow again, so we may not be putting on shingles until Thanksgiving.

We needed to have a temporary "cat door" and finally figured out the best place was where the window is going - since the whole opening will be cut out eventually.

The cats figured it out right away too. The window that is going here is the one we "salvaged" from the Farm. It was on the north side of the family room, and I'll always remember my Dad sitting in his chair in front of this window.

Progress is slow, but eventually it will get done- which is good since I've gotten a new machine that isn't going to fit in the house - and the base for the Hemstitcher will be on it's way soon too.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:45 PM
KLO

Looks like your addition is going to work out really well although it looks like the cats may want it instead. Room for everyone and all or most of the machines you have collected hopefully! Will you use your new blindstitcher?
Old 11-22-2014, 05:59 PM

That's going to be quite a room! Nice to have the window as a comforting memory of your Dad. The cats already like it, so you know it's going to be a 'purrr-fect' place. (Couldn't resist!!)
Old 11-22-2014, 06:06 PM

Thanks for keeping us up on the progress of your shed. Are you sure it is big enough?? I know you have a lot of machines. The kitties are checking out the progress too. They must be the "shed police".
Old 11-22-2014, 06:22 PM

Looks great! Looks like the cats approve too.
Rodney
Old 11-22-2014, 06:25 PM

How exciting to see your progress. You must be getting very anxious!
Old 11-22-2014, 06:37 PM

Your furry contractors seem to have everything under control.
Nice job!!!!
Old 11-23-2014, 04:47 AM

This shed will just have to be big enough - though my industrial machines are going to take up a big chunk of room. With the others, most will be on shelves with a few in cabinets. I can fit a lot of machines when I put them six high. I won't go higher than that with the heavy ones - don't want to hurt something (me or the machine) getting them down.

After the roof goes on, we'll wrap the outside with housewrap, put in the windows and side it. Then it will be sealed up, and we'll move to the inside. Then weather won't be a problem anymore. At some point I've got use the shed to move everything out of the summer kitchen next door and finish that up. That is the area that the cats will have access to (where their food and nice place to sleep is). They'll only get into the Machine Shed if I let them. Depends on if I need them for mice police. They have access to the other outbuildings and take their Patrol seriously.

I'm going to use radiant cove heating (gotta remember to order those heaters!) DH wanted baseboard as we have several of them on hand, but that would limit me for moving around cabinets. I plan on keeping the building above freezing in the winter, but probably not a lot more unless I'm working out there. Not sure about summer cooling, but our weather is normally on the dry side, and if I needed I can haul one of our portable AC units out there.

Next summer we'll fix up the exterior of the Summer kitchen, and then it will look nice. The plastic for the greenhouse roof was only 10 year material, and it's going to need to be replaced anyway.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:22 AM

You are coming right along with your project. Very nice work. You and your DH must be quite talented in building, reading blueprints, using power equip, etc.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:49 AM

Looking good Cathy! What great storage space!! Looks like your inspecting kitties are loving it!!