Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Making a sewing table out of a modern plastic top >

Making a sewing table out of a modern plastic top

Making a sewing table out of a modern plastic top

Old 07-26-2015, 11:29 AM

Default Making a sewing table out of a modern plastic top

I was wonder if anyone has tried to cut a hole in a modern molded plastic top table for a sewing machine to fit into.

I have cut into a wood top table with success but I was wondering about the fact that they are hollow at least in part. If the hole was cut where the ribs were not effected would that work?

I think the hole could be reinforced around it if need be.

Any thought or help would be appreciated.

Ethel
Old 07-26-2015, 03:14 PM

Count on having to reinforce the area around the hole. Cutting some sticks to fit inside the cavity(s) and screwing them into place thru the top and bottom of the table should do it. You're going to need to add supports for the machine anyway. It shouldn't be hard to do a clean job.
Rodney
Old 07-26-2015, 05:43 PM

I've thought about it. But once I saw the heavy old wooden dining tables that had machines dropped in them, expecially those set up for quilting, I changed my mind. Those old wooden ones are not going to move, the newer plastic ones might.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:47 AM

I would think that cutting a hole into a resin table would compromise its stability, even with support frame work. I'd think that area would still sag with the weight of a sewing machine. I'd check out some 2nd hand stores or yard sales for a nice older table made from real wood. At the price of these resin tables it would be a shame to throw that much money away.

Last edited by Stitchit123; 07-28-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:34 AM

I use a folding (but so far never taken down and folded) 6 foot resin table with my Juki TL2010Q which is similar in weight to most of the vintage machine heads as it is mostly metal. I like how it works with the table intact, but feel pretty certain that cutting the table would affect the stability way more than I would like it too. Since mine is a folding table, it is a bit stiffer than the 6 foot tables that are one piece, as the additional edges where it folds add reinforcement. I agree with the suggestion to look for a simple, sturdy wood table and cut that.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the input. My reasoning is that it would be a folding table I could take with or use as a second at home. I thought someone may have tried it already.

I really dislike using a portable machine, I have and I can but so much prefer a table top.
The tables available that fold are a bit pricy. I have been on the look out at the thrift stores but there seems to be few of the newer ones. I have one that was a rescue from a dumpster, almost new, just in the way. It is a 6 foot one I was wondering about cutting into. Will keep looking for another one.

I have a feather weight table and a 301 table that I recently got. It is so nice to sew on the flat surface. Just need another one that will fit one of my zig zag machines. I also have a large desk with the hole for the machine I really like but it is hardly portable. That is why the question on the newer plastic/resin folding table.

Thanks again for your information and thoughts.

Ethel
Old 07-28-2015, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
I would think that cutting a hole into a resin table would compromise its stability, even with support frame work. I'd think that area would still sag with the weight of a sewing machine. I'd check out some 2nd hand stores or yard sales for a nice older table made from real wood. At the price of these resin tables it would be a shame to throw that much money away.
I agree, i don't think anything but real wood would be stable enough and that might need reinforcing.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:50 AM

I think you would be better off purchasing an adjustable height table instead of cutting a hole. I sewed on a plastic folding table for many years and it took abuse from the vibrations and the heaviness of the machine. One I had folded in the middle and it wore out the hinges to where the table bowed. When I had to move it the legs and metal parts were always sort of fused together and had to be knocked on to move.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

I have never thought of cutting into a modern molded plastic top table. Too many concerns with support.