Minnesota A Treadle

Old 03-24-2018, 12:55 PM
JVV

Default Minnesota A Treadle

This seems to be a common theme. I have inherited a Minnesota A treadle and i was wondering if i could get some more information about it, such as how old it is and who manufactured it. The serial number appears to be D353 9050. But, most importantly, I am wondering if there are any modern needles that could be used with it. There were some plastic and wood boye 16 containers. Looking closely at the needles, I noticed some of the needles say 16, but some have singer engraved on them. This machine always sat in my grandparents bedroom and then with my mom. I never was shown how to use it but i would like to now, so i am wondering if there are any resources on how to thread the machine.
Attached Thumbnails img_9606.jpg   img_9607.jpg   img_9608.jpg   img_9609.jpg  
Old 03-24-2018, 05:02 PM

Nice looking machine. From the research I have done, it looks like your machine should take the same system needle as current domestic machines take. The 16 could be the size of the needle shaft and/or the Boye number.

Did you check out the links in this post??? >>
Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
The Minnesota machines were sold by Sears and were made by different manufactures - so a picture would help identify. As far as how old it might be, it would be an approximation based on who actually made your machine and maybe some other factors. A couple of links about Minnesota A machines here that have some good info are
Coolest MN A treadle table I've ever seen! and Minnesota Treadle - my great-grandmother's machine

Probably there are some others as well, but those are good starting places.
It looks like the Burdick machine (manual linked to in second link) is similar, but I think the top thread guide from the spool needs to go through the guide at the top of the face plate then to the tension dial and then to take up lever.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:05 AM
JVV

Thank you for your response. I did not see those particular threads but I did find the burdick manual in a different thread. Everything seems to move fairly well however i did apply oil to it using the instructions. As the needed moves up and down, there is a slight noise, not sure if that is normal or if it should be silent. I'm thinking this is going to be an interesting adventure.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:51 AM

Nice. This is a New Minnesota A Sears mail order catalog sewing machine made late 1909 or early 1910 by Davis. There are other manufacturers that contracted with Sears to make New Minnesota A which is a bit confusing. You have the early A9 version which uses the Davis Long needle Boye 10 and is nearly 2" long. The later or A10 uses the standard 15x1 Boye 16. MTx190 is a substitute industrial needle that can be used. New old stock original needles are still around but a bit more expensive.

http://www.clawges.com/sewing/MN_A_manual/index.html

Jon
Old 03-25-2018, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

I don't know about your machine but just wanted to comment.... Seems a lot of old machines the owners would wrap a piece of fabric around it for a pin cushion. It was handy. I learned to sew on my moms old singer and it had one on it. What we don't think about is the damage the pins do to the finish under the cloth.I would remove that cloth before it ruins the finish. I'm just a sewer not a tech.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

I forgot to say your machine is beautiful.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:16 PM
JVV

Mary, Thank you for your compliment and your advice. I will remove the pin cushion straight away.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:21 PM
JVV

Jon, Thank you for the manual. The placement of the thread spool definitely more closely resembles the manual. Do you think the boyle 16 is a red herring then? I am not a expert in needles by any stretch of imagination but they do very closely resemble modern universal needles, but i am not sure how close is close enough. It could be too that my grandmother had to substitute at some point. I have attached a picture of the needle cases. I will post a picture of the needles contained therein to modern needles soon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]591777[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_9612.jpg  

Last edited by JVV; 03-26-2018 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Wanted to call out Jon
Old 03-26-2018, 05:04 PM

The #16 are modern family machine needles, 15x1. Could be Grandmom had a Singer at one time or just picked up the wrong needles for the A. Look for needles a hair under 2" in the cabinet drawers or needle tubes to use.

Last edited by jlhmnj; 03-26-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:12 AM
JVV

Jon,
I finally got around to removing the needle in the machine and it is definitely a different size. I have posted a pic of the needle in the machine, one of the needles in the case and a modern needle which matched to the ones in the case and i thought would be a suitable replacement. I tried putting the 16s in the machine and keeping the same depth, would not screw on. So, i suppose the reasoning for having those 16s in the cabinet is lost to time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]592003[/ATTACH]

I found this thread:

Substitute needles for the Minnesota and Davis, as well as others, machines

Which also references the MTx190. If the shank is round, how do you get it in the machine, would you have to angle it somehow, or will it just work? Has anyone ever tried filing the shank to make one side flat?

I also saw this item on your ebay link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boye-Davis-...-/222898971486

Would this be what i need? In the description, it does not mention the Minnesota A.

Also,
On the ISMACS

http://ismacs.net/needle_and_shank/i...edle-list.html

The Minnesota a is only listed as a 15x1, would my A be under a different Minnesota?

I know i'm asking a lot of questions and i appreciate your help.
Attached Thumbnails img_9658.jpg