Minnie update

Old 04-29-2012, 04:57 PM

Default Minnie update

I got Minnie all cleaned up. Well, as clean as a rusted, pitted, former mouse apartment can be, then started on the foot controller and motor.
Eeee gads what a mess! I've taken pictures of this and as soon as we get the photo program in our new computer I'll download them and post some.

What I found:
Foot Controller: The wires just outside the foot controller were broken inside the insulation. Original 80+ year old copper wire. They were spliced into some 50s vintage aluminum wire between the controller and the motor.
I got that all cleaned up and it's sitting waiting until I get a cord block from Sew-Classic to wire it into.
The antique foot controller is good and functional.

Motor:
The original copper wire inside the motor was spliced into another piece of copper wire then into the 50s aluminum wire where it was spliced into the foot controller wire and power cord.
No soldering, just big knots of twisted balled up wires covered by wads of petrified tape. Yuck!
I spliced in a new power cord for the motor. Had fits because the old copper wire did not want to take the solder. I finally got it done, but it wasn't my best solder job.

Then got the motor back together and plugged it in. ZOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM it went. Boy did I feel a sense of relief. I was hoping I could get it back together with out breaking any of the interior wires and it looks like I did.

After getting the motor rewired I mounted it up and put a belt on it. Put a new bobbin tyre on it.
And then filled the bobbin. The bobbin winder is quite worn so it's not working as good as it should, but it filled the bobbin.

After that I stood there and sewed circles on scrap material. This old machine works pretty darn good. It skipped a few stitches but I'm pretty sure it's cos I still have an old dull needle in it. Considering this machine takes the 20x1 size or what ever the old numbers are, I'll save the good ones for when I'm really sewing something.

Now to finish cleaning the machine and case. I need new latches for the case, they are not there. That's gonna be a problem but hopefully not a bad one.

More pics later.

Joe
Old 04-29-2012, 05:14 PM

I've got an old 127 out in the garage waiting on me, and I hate to start on it for all the reasons you just mentioned! Pictures when you get them, please!