Monkey Wards Sewing Machine

Old 12-01-2013, 01:06 AM
Power Poster

Rodney, Keep using T-F on the moving parts. You just haven't found the part that isn't moving yet. That baby will shift easily. I'm thinking there may be plastic parts in there so you want to go easy on chemicals or heat. But then that might have been a Bernina I had - very similar set up. Use the T-F as you shift it. Gently rock it - or you can oil the machine, turn it over and oil again. Then set it on one end or the other and wait. I had one I left in the car trunk on a hot day and it worked - then it froze up again as soon as it cooled off - at least I knew the machine would work so I kept oiling.

As far as the feed dogs go you may be oiling the wrong place. The place to oil is the thing on the end of the feed dog drop shaft. This thing has very close tolerances. It is the most often frozen area on a sewing machine and can take the most trouble to unfreeze. You can use brute force - most men are inclined to that - you can use heat or you can use T- F and wait. I'm inclined toward T-F over night and heat the next day... give it time - do you see the dried on oil on the end of the 'bullet'? This one is stuck, too but I doubt if that is the exact spot - it is more likely inside that shaft the bullet rides in will have the exact same dried on oil you see. It is the oil you can't see that is stuck. The other end by the shaft will need a good soaking, too - that pin will come out when you can freely turn the knob. You will want to oil the crack in the middle since it will move once that 'bullet' is out of the way. I soaked a bit of T-F on mine but I think this one is going to take some heat. It is hard for the T-F to penetrate all directions unless you turn the machine from one side to the other or go end to end. Once it decides to unfreeze, clean off oil residue, re-oil as you turn the knob above - work the oil into that tube and you are good to go. [ATTACH=CONFIG]449395[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails feed-drop-002.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 12-01-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

Nice machine!!!
Old 12-01-2013, 12:00 PM

Rodney, Give this a try. Hope it helps. Ruth

http://www.montgomerywardsmanuals.com/
Old 12-01-2013, 12:22 PM

Hey cabinqltr, thanks for the link. I went and looked at the photo for our Model 266, and it shows all of the features by arrow. Item “L” is “SEWING LIGHT (IN BACK) OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT”, so the light was an option. We probably didn’t buy the light for our first one, and neither did the folks that we bought the second machine from.

This little wards 266 machine is starting to remind me of a Singer 192 Spartan. "No frills".

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

That looks just like the one I found on the curb. Didn't have time when picked up to see what was all wrong. Got home and a lot was missing. I put it back on the curb. Parts were expensive the ones I could find. Just have to keep digging. The one I had was orange on the ends. It was just so heavy and really didn't want after getting it.