Monsoon gave me the day off

Old 07-12-2012, 06:58 PM

Default Monsoon gave me the day off

Well the monsoon hit the Arizona desert last night. . . and it kept going till 4 this morning. I live in the middle of nowhere on a dead end dirt road that washed out with the storm. So there was no way to get to work today. It's kinda like being stuck in a snow storm and not being able to get out of the house . . . only its 110 degrees and humid.

So what to do. I spent the day sewing on Trouble, my little FW. It's the first time I really sat down with her since I got her several months ago. It took a while to get used to the foot peddle. She's my only foot peddle (not counting my 15-90 clone that I haven't used yet). But once I got the feel for her we were moving! I tried the walking foot and it worked great. I tried the zig zag. I need more work on that.

I decided to make a cover for her so she didn't get dusty sitting in my sewing room. (if any of you have ever spent time in AZ, you'll know what I mean about dust). Then I decided to put handles on it so I could carry it around since i still can't figure out how to change the locks on her carry case.

Then I made a bag to the "extra" lap quilt I ended up with when I made too many blocks for my friend's house warming gift.

Then I decided to open my treadle and work on the lap quilt I'm attempting to make with her. I need to close her before I go to bed so the "sewing machine lady spirit" that lives with me doesn't sew on her tonight and wake up the dogs.

I love extra days with nothing to do.

Here's Trouble in her new home.
Attached Thumbnails trouble-001-640x480-.jpg  
Old 07-12-2012, 07:36 PM

Sounds as though you had a fun day. Love your bag for the FW. I need to make so many covers, just need to get in the mood. Nice idea to put straps on the bag, but some of my machines are way to heavy to carry that way. When do you think the road will be ready for travel. Can you get another day out of it?
Old 07-13-2012, 04:38 AM

It sounds like a perfect day to me. Where I live we pray for snow days and last year we had several. I really like the bag you made for your featherweight.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:46 AM

Oh I so understand the dusty days you have there. Its usually the first thing I do is make a cover for my machines. I like the softer ones that I can just pull off easily. We got hit with that same storm here, quite the noisy one too. Was still storming here around 5am. But it was so nice to have the rain and cool things off, even if it was only for a few hours.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:51 AM

Great job on the bag. Sounds like it get a bit dusty there. You accomplished a lot in just one day.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:23 PM

Hi!! The locks were cut I take it? They pry off. Gently pry them up.
The biggest thing here is to make sure that you keep the pry tool as flat to the box as possible, so the box doesn't end up with gouge marks.

The new locks will come with screws, so if memory serves, you will need to fill the holes, then re-drill to the size of the screws that were supplied.

For that matter, that's not even a bad route to go if you've lost the key and can't find someone else with a FW to lend you a key so you can get it open... then just fill and re-attach the old hinges....
Old 07-16-2012, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Hi!! The locks were cut I take it? They pry off. Gently pry them up.
The biggest thing here is to make sure that you keep the pry tool as flat to the box as possible, so the box doesn't end up with gouge marks.

The new locks will come with screws, so if memory serves, you will need to fill the holes, then re-drill to the size of the screws that were supplied.

For that matter, that's not even a bad route to go if you've lost the key and can't find someone else with a FW to lend you a key so you can get it open... then just fill and re-attach the old hinges....
I actually got the locks off but the box was trimmed out to fit the old locks. The new locks I bought are square and the trimmed out portion is trimmed to fit the old locks. I need to get some sort of tiny tool to square the trimmed out section to fit my new locks.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:32 AM

I just took a look at my two FW boxes, and I'm not sure I understand which portion is trimmed out. Is the wood and covering under the hinges indented, or has someone actually removed portions of the wood?