Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Montgomery Ward "1886" treadle in FULL cabinet >

Montgomery Ward "1886" treadle in FULL cabinet

Montgomery Ward "1886" treadle in FULL cabinet

Old 04-18-2024, 06:58 AM

Question Montgomery Ward "1886" treadle in FULL cabinet

I just bought this from a friend who refinished the cabinet of this machine that belonged to his great-grandmother.
She would have been born before 1890, if not earlier. The bobbin case plate says 1886 (patent, I assume) but I don't know where to look for a serial or model number. I haven't seen anything online (or ever) of this era that has a full enclosed cabinet like this! Can anyone shed some light on what I have here?
Everything "moves"... treadle, hand wheel, needle, metal belt is still there.
I would like a manual so I can thread it properly and see what it can do.
Attached Thumbnails img_2147.jpg   img_2148.jpg   img_2149.jpg   img_2150.jpg   img_9019.jpg  

Old 04-18-2024, 08:30 AM

Absolutely gorgeous!! I cannot help you with the manuals or where to look for a serial number, but it may not have a serial number on it. Is there a latch on the back of the cabinet that opens a little door? It is found in some of the machine cabinets of that age to allow for air flow as folks used their treadmills in their hoop skirts.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:45 AM

Welcome to Quilting Board. I have seen a similar machine and believe that it may have been made by National. There is a similar cabinet for a Windsor at https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/windsor-montgomery-wards-treadle-sewing-machine-t323362.html#post8642921 Finding a manual may be difficult. I can't seem to find one quite the same. I wonder if this one would help https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...m-e-manual.pdf The stitch length regulator is different and slightly different tension assembly, but should be similar.
Old 04-20-2024, 12:00 PM

Thank you. There are a bunch (about 200!) little holes (in the shape of 2 hearts) that allow for ventilation. The back is a solid wood panel otherwise. Have you ever seen a full cabinet like this? I can't seem to get any history on it.
Old 04-20-2024, 12:01 PM

Thank you so much! I will check out these links.