More graveyard rescues

Old 09-13-2017, 12:55 PM

wow that is so sad but it's also encouraging you're going to restore them. Yes, how do you come up with vintage graveyard sewing machines?
Old 09-13-2017, 03:15 PM

I have a wide range of interests and I enjoy traveling. I grew up as a farm kid and a gearhead. I don't mind looking in the backroom or backyard of grungy shops. I wear a little flashlight on my belt. People with a wide reach e-mail me with pics. "Have you seen this in xxx city?" Some (rarely) send me notes. "Would you like this VSM for free?" I cover a lot of Eastern Kansas and have ventured into neighboring states. I have family that helps with this hobby. I just saw Janey and John in Colorado and was regretting having a small car when I looked at Denver Craigslist. But then I found the ones pictured here on the way home. After I dropped of my sis. woo hoo more space.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:59 PM

It's a pleasure to share some of the great machines that you know you aren't going to repair with someone you think will appreciate them. I've sent machines to Leon by way of his cousin who goes to Kansas regularly.

It must be his charming personality. What else could it be?

bkay
Old 09-14-2017, 05:48 AM

It certainly isn't my good looks. I should take delivery of bkay's latest machine on Saturday.
Happy the 750 is getting some attention.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:48 AM

Too bad the 66 got painted. It originally had the Lotus decals. I've seen a couple of early machines that have been painted all black and one hadn't been taken apart to paint.

So many machines like the VS2 and 66s are missing the slide plates. Did the 99 have its slide plate withe the other bits that came with it?

I have been keeping my eyes open for a Western Electric machine. I have a foot shape controller that would need to be rewired if I found a machine for it.

I initially thought flat hand wheel would take a flat belt but then I noticed that it would take a normal treadle belt. The Weed hand wheel is flat, but not as large as the one you have.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 09-16-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:24 PM

"So many machines like the VS2 and 66s are missing the slide plates. Did the 99 have its slide plate withe the other bits that came with it?"

Nope, the 99 was missing the slide plate, but I have enough machines I can borrow one when needed.

"I have been keeping my eyes open for a Western Electric machine."

I went back and asked about it. Too greedy for me.

The vs2 is looking better and moving smoother, just about ready to thread it up.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]580810[/ATTACH]

"I initially thought flat hand wheel would take a flat belt but then I noticed that it would take a normal treadle belt."
Yes, that caught me too.
Attached Thumbnails marion-vs-99-cleaner-b.jpg  
Old 09-18-2017, 01:33 PM

Whoops, cousin didn't make it yet. Oh well, I have a 15-91 I got[ATTACH=CONFIG]580811[/ATTACH] this weekend. Abuse here?

Cords had bare wire showing side by side. It will turn all the way through without any funny noises, so except for the thread guide it may be ok.
Attached Thumbnails 15-91-scraped-b.jpg