Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Morse Fotomatic IV 4400 repair >

Morse Fotomatic IV 4400 repair

Morse Fotomatic IV 4400 repair

Old 05-21-2017, 05:32 AM

I have been thinking I need to finish this story, but haven't had the time to write and track down the pictures! Beauty is now moving smoothly in all functions! Yay! I really like this machine, not just for the shiny, colorful, retro look, but also because of the smooth and powerful operation. This is the only machine in my stable with the four part, diamond pattern feed dogs (I don't yet have an elna supermatic). That means there are two small feed dogs in front of the needle as well as behind, giving better fabric movement, especially in reverse. I will show pictures when I have the time. Right now, the remaining work on Beauty is to clean up the motor (smells oily) and repair the joints and hinges of her wood case.
I was hoping to get The Beast functional as well since I haven't had to remove any parts, but his thread take up lever is snapped off flush with the front of the machine. Possibly the result of the crazed vandalism that occurred at the repair shop to both these machines. I haven't found a replacement as yet.
I also think it might be interesting to show in a post the subtle differences I have found in the two machines I have. Although both look the same and are the same model, there are differences in some of the parts. If anyone else is rebuilding a Fotomatic IV, they might find that interesting.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:22 PM

I, too, have found one of these machines. The cam stack is split, however not as badly as "Beast's". My husband is a CNC machinest, however duplicating it would be outrageously costly in time. Has anyone found anyone that makes a replacement? I had in mind that maybe if the cam was gently heated, and then wrapped in a steel band, it could be brought back into shape.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:31 PM

I only have Re-Morse right now. After much cleaning and much tinkering, it was decided that the there was nothing more to be done for the Morse without taking apart the cam mechanism. Unfortunately, the pot metal used for this machine is so soft and cheap that it was impossible to take it apart without having pieces break off. I was very discouraged with the quality of this machine as compared to the Singers and Kenmores I have worked on.

I had been delighted with my find because of various blogs and reviews, but my advice to anyone about to pick one of these up is not to pay a penny until you know for sure that it will sew well in all the stitch functions. I assumed that with a little cleaning and oiling I could get it working, but alas, that was not the case. The machine was not designed and manufactured with the idea of durability in mind.

Even if you have to take oil, thread, and a needle with you, don't buy it until you know it works.