Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
most expensive vintage for me to date >

most expensive vintage for me to date

most expensive vintage for me to date

Old 07-02-2014, 06:46 AM

Default most expensive vintage for me to date

I took a deep breath and hit the "buy it now" button on a FW 222. This will complete my FW collection, and it comes with lots of "toys" even a few I didn't already own.

I have to be honest and say that the "hunt" isn't one of my favorite parts of collecting old machines, so sometimes I'm willing to pay more to get that part over with.

Now to find a White 670 (it's green) like my Mom had, and then a machine that will take the Boye Shuttle #22, and from looking at pictures, this is an early Eldredge made machine (pre National). The shuttle is about 1/4" longer than the National machines take. I have one machine that is listed as taking this size, but it does not. So I'll keep looking, but at least now I know to ask the seller to measure the carrier so I can make sure it takes the longer one.

DH and I are starting to make plans for our traveling Vintage machine "show". We aren't really planning on selling machines, it's more for education. I think I could do up some "fix it" kits with cleaning supplies and directions for those that would stop by and say "I have Granny's old machine, think I can get it to run?" I also think I'll start looking for a Boye shuttle display case, that would be a neat item to have also. At least we did recently aquire a very needed part of the plan - the van LOL!!
Old 07-02-2014, 07:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
DH and I are starting to make plans for our traveling Vintage machine "show".
This is Awesome! That is how The Victorian Sweatshop got started. (we use a Jeep Cherokee and a 8' box trailer currently)
Old 07-02-2014, 07:55 AM

I was close, very close, to buying a mid 60s Chevy flat face van with a bubble top. Then i decided to hold back and just rent a uhaul van for the 2 quilt shows I'm doing this summer as a vendor/display booth. I can rationalize the van as storage room while I remodel the garage a little but...
Congrats on your find Cathy! I just did a BIN for a fiddle base Household. It will be the 1st of those. Do they use the same needle or shuttle as any other mfrs? I just went on impulse cause it was pretty. It has an oval needplate, so Domestic??
Old 07-02-2014, 09:46 AM

I think all the "they paid me to take this vintage never been used machine" posts here kind of over ride the fact that it is ok to buy a machine you are looking for. If seller and buyer are happy how could it be not good?
Old 07-02-2014, 09:56 AM

Congrats on your new machine Cathy! I agree with Kalamaquilts. I like a good deal but price isn't and shouldn't be the only factor. Sometimes it's worth it to pay a bit more to get what you really want and since it had some accessories you didn't already have that's a pretty nice bonus.
Rodney
Old 07-02-2014, 11:26 AM
KLO

Nice that you got a machine from your "I want" list! Cannot wait to see it. I also think that sometimes you just have to pony up the money for a machine that you want and perhaps have not been able to find at a reduced enough price. I am always startled by the machines that some people on the QB find that they pay pennies for it seems. I like a good buy but as my DH says, "we scrimped all our lives to buy a house and put the kids through college so we can indulge ourselves now". I saw a Singer 15-91 in a nice art deco cabinet with quite a few attachments including the darner, zigzagger, etc. but walked away because I thought it was too much (plus I could not figure out where I would put it). My DH went back and unbeknownst to me bought it and picked it up on Valentine's Day in the snow to bring home and give to me. Love it and love him for doing that! Yep, sometimes the money spent is worth it all. Those 222s seem to be hard to find so be happy with it. After all, you cannot take the money you work so hard for with you when you leave this earth.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:24 PM

Yup. Everyone likes a bargain, but it doesn’t hurt to occasionally put out the big bucks for one that you want, either. The longer that I collect machines, the more expensive the ones that I want seem to be. I have a few on my Want List that are going to cost me some money. The ones I’m coveting just don’t come along for $100 very often, and I don’t have time nor want to take the time to wait. The only thing stopping me from completing my list is having the money to pay for them. It just seems handy to be able to pay for a machine when I buy it.......

CD in Oklahoma
Old 07-02-2014, 12:24 PM

If that's what you paid for your 222 at the price range that I'm seeing at eBay, I guess it will take me awhile to be able to grab one. Price might not be an issue but that price is way too much for me to justify my smad. Congrats on your 222 - can't wait to see it. Price range on eBay is about $1,000- $1,500. wow, that's really an expensive one. if the price will climb higher later on as we wait then maybe it's really best to get one now.

Last edited by singerguy; 07-02-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:55 PM

So glad you found a 222! No museum is complete without just the right one.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
... The ones I’m coveting just don’t come along for $100 very often, and I don’t have time nor want to take the time to wait. The only thing stopping me from completing my list is having the money to pay for them. CD in Oklahoma
Tell me about it... There are only two machines I am actively looking for, a Singer 91K5 Glove stitching machine(or the early 46k1) is the first machine and the second is a 4 digit serial number Merrow Machine (A1 or A2) (1st overcast/serger 1880's)

There are two 91K5's listed now on Ebay, one for 1500, the other for 1000... Sigh....