Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Motor gone bad on Singer 15 91 >

Motor gone bad on Singer 15 91

Motor gone bad on Singer 15 91

Old 10-29-2013, 12:31 PM

Default Motor gone bad on Singer 15 91

I hope that I have described the machine correctly. AD397389 is the model number. I was sewing along just fine last week, dattadattadatta and then right in the middle of a long seam it went da da da da, just barely moving. I thought it might be the foot pedal burned out, checked it out and it seemed ok, put it all back together, then same thing da da da da da. My son said it was the motor, and pulled it off, checked it out, and put it back together. Still sewing slow slow slow.

We have asked a couple of people on the internet what can be wrong with it, still not satisfied, so we are thinking of ordering a new potted motor. I went on Sew Classic this am to find one, and they don't have one for a machine with potted motor, so now what? J Miller, are you there????? ArchaicArcane????? Macybaby????? HELP.....
Old 10-29-2013, 12:49 PM

I'm not going to be a lot of help but here's one thing to try -- if you loosen the stop motion knob does it go faster?
Old 10-29-2013, 03:15 PM

I would check the brushes on your current motor.

If it turns out that you do need to replace the motor you will likely have to go to eBay to get one, or find a donor machine.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:27 PM

I have no sources or links to them for new, used or rebuilt potted motors. There is a place I had a link to that sold reman motors but I lost that link to a computer failure and have never found it again.

Like Mark said, check the brushes and commutator first. You could have done that with the motor on the machine. My 201-2 had an intermittent failure to run. I cleaned those parts with q-tips and denatured alcohol and it now runs great.

Those motors can be rebuilt and rewired rather easily, so don't give up on it yet.

Joe
Old 10-30-2013, 02:36 AM
Power Poster

Joe, if someone sent a motor to you to rebuild - how much would you charge?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:50 AM

Miriam,

I don't know if I'd want to take on motor overhaul right now. I've only done the one potted motor and it although it isn't difficult it is time consuming. And I'm not sure where to get brushes and springs. To do a rebuild I'd want to replace those as well as the wires.
And if something broke on me I have no replacement parts.

There is a place somewhere back east I think that actually sells reman potted motors. He requires the dead motor as a core or charges $$$$$ for a core charge. I lost that link. I've been trying to find it as he sold other machine parts as well.

Joe
Old 10-30-2013, 06:31 AM

Sounds like bad electrical connection somewhere.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:53 AM

Thanks everyone; I am in a bad shape today with allergies, so I'll be watching to see who tries to help me, but I won't be going out to my sewing room today.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:38 AM

There are three main things I'd do before calling it beyond hope.

1. Brushes, like Mark mentioned. New, they're about 1/2" to 3/4" long. A well loved sewing machine motor will wear the brushes down to nubs. I've had a few motors where they "didn't run", and all they needed was brushes. I suspect if this is the issue you're having that your "da da da da" is going to turn in to a " " pretty soon. http://shop.sew-classic.com/Carbon-M...7-w-spring.htm

2. Turn the hand wheel by hand. Is it free moving? A potted motor does have a little more drag, but the hand wheel should still turn well. If you can't turn it easily by hand, the motor won't be able to either. If this is the case, then free the machine up. Remove whatever threads are binding it up, oil / grease everything.

3. Wiring. The wires should look smooth, no cracks or missing pieces of insulation, and they shouldn't be gooey or oil soaked. They shouldn't be frayed, and the state of the machine shouldn't change when you wiggle cords (would indicate a loose connection). Wiring can be done with materials available at the hardware store, and this tutorial: http://vssmb.blogspot.ca/2012/01/com...ted-motor.html

The last thing I could think of, and it's a long shot, esp if your son looked at the motor: The fiber gear broke and is jammed in such a way the motor can't turn. If this was the case though, I would think it would be growling, not simply not trying.