Motor question

Old 12-04-2015, 05:51 PM

Default Motor question

Im hoping someone can answer my question. I recently bought a 99k. Its in pretty bad shape as far as the wiring goes. My dh was trying to rewire it for me. He is new to sewing machines, and really not sure what he is doing. Anyway, the wire coming out of the motor just came out and/or disinegrated. More likely the latter. Does this mean i need a new motor? Or can i take it to a repairman and expect him/her to be able to rewire it? Thank you for your thoughts.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:56 PM

You can bring it to someone who takes on vintage machines. You can also take a look at a couple of web tutorials for motor rewiring, and I think there are a few wiring diagrams on the web too, particularly on a Yahoo Vintage Singer Group. There are help to be found, and as long as it's the insulation that's crumbling away and a few broken wires (particularly aluminum wire goes bad, copper tend to last) your motor is probably all right except for the wires.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

O
Originally Posted by mike'sgirl
Im hoping someone can answer my question. I recently bought a 99k. Its in pretty bad shape as far as the wiring goes. My dh was trying to rewire it for me. He is new to sewing machines, and really not sure what he is doing. Anyway, the wire coming out of the motor just came out and/or disinegrated. More likely the latter. Does this mean i need a new motor? Or can i take it to a repairman and expect him/her to be able to rewire it? Thank you for your thoughts.
You could try
Old 12-05-2015, 09:35 AM

It won't hurt to take it apart and try. Maybe someone here knows some good tutorials for rewiring a motor that they can post links to.
Rodney
Old 12-05-2015, 03:15 PM

I've re-wired a few and there are some good tutorials on the internet. This one http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2012/01/co...ted-motor.html is excellent for gaining an understanding of what you are doing inside the motor and also has great techniques to practice in preparation for doing the work. The motor in this tut is not exactly the same as the motor you are dealing with but similar.

This YouTube shows you a bit more about what the motor you are opening is like inside. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvYo90gIoiQ
Old 12-05-2015, 06:22 PM

There are a number of wiring diagrams on the 'net for Singer and other sewing machine motors. I've got a bunch of them on my hard drive, but I can't post them cos the forum considers them as being copyrighted. You'll need to do a search of net, they are there. I'd post the links, but those I lost with the last HD that died.

In lieu of a wiring diagram, you can carefully mark the old wires and install the new ones in exactly the same position and routing.

Joe
Old 12-05-2015, 07:15 PM

Thank you so much everyone for yournelp,links, and suggestions. Hopefully we will be able to get her fixed and sewing. Gina