Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Mould or mold, is hard to kill >

Mould or mold, is hard to kill

Mould or mold, is hard to kill

Old 08-17-2015, 03:56 AM

Default Mould or mold, is hard to kill

Two months ago, or just before the move, we put most of our sewing machines in the storage locker in Springfield while we moved.
Yesterday we made the first run back there to retrieve some legal documents that were stupidly left there and as much as we could stuff in the Pathfinder.
We left the Ft Wayne house at about 6:15 am. Me driving. We passed Indy maybe two hours later or so and said "Hello Miriam - Goodbye Miriam" , as we drove through. We got to Springfield around 12:30 or so.
Gassed up, it took nearly a full tank to get there, the Pathfinder is not an economy vehicle and proceeded to the storage locker.

I had several machines I wanted to bring back, some of them for us and some possibly to be used by my SIL in her sewing class she's going to do next month. But two of the machine cases were covered in mold.
(See, I got to the point.)

Aldens Magic ZZ
[ATTACH=CONFIG]527978[/ATTACH]

Emdeko
[ATTACH=CONFIG]527979[/ATTACH]

These cases were clean when we put them in the locker. But obviously the mold spoors were there.

I do not want to bring this mold into the new house. So, I'd like to get a consensus on how to kill that mold right there at the storage locker.
Whatever it would take I'll take with us to the locker and clean them there before bringing them here.

If I can't kill this mold for good, the cases will have to be trashed. And this is just two of dozens of machines I could not get to to inspect.

Ideas??????

We got back to Ft Wayne around 10:30 ish, showered and went to bed.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails img_6252.jpg   img_6253.jpg  
Old 08-17-2015, 06:54 AM

I'd say to wipe them down with bleach. That's supposed to kill mold.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

Evidently your storage facility is not climate controlled. Not sure what your cases are made of, if they have a cloth cover bleach will bleach them out. I would spray with plain unadulterated bleach, wipe down and spray again, put in large garbage bags from home. Seal and transport that way. Then set outside. Does your new residence have a basement? Hope you're liking Ft. Wayne, last time I was there was DGD's graduation on 2013. I have lots of family there. What side are you living? Lots of family in surrounding areas also. Good Luck with the mold. You may have to Google for the best ways. Different kinds of molds have different treatment. If the mold has penetrated all the way through the case. the case is probably done. Sorry!
Old 08-17-2015, 08:37 AM

tessagin,

Nope, no climate control, just a regular storage locker with a rolling garage type door.

Cases are wooden shells with a heavy paper cover. I don't think these two are fabric although some are.

Wiping with bleach shouldn't hurt them if they are not saturated. I'll take some with me next time I go to the locker. Didn't think of the garbage bag idea. That would give the bleach fumes time to work also.
If the bleach ruins the covering, I'll just have to strip it off and recover it. If I can't get rid of the mold, I'll have to do that anyway.

Yes the new house has a pretty decent basement. We'll have some storage room, work room and I'll even have a room for myself.

We're on the SE side near Southgate Plaza.

Family is a good thing I guess, most of mine are gone now. Just a couple aunts in AZ and my brother in NV. Some cousins here and there, but I have no idea about them.

Just for curiosity, do you know of anyone here who might have an enclosed cargo trailer we might borrow for a time?
Even a horse trailer would help ......

Joe
Old 08-17-2015, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

When we researched how to remove mold we found borax works better than anything.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:54 AM

I had this problem from a leak under my sink. I tried bleach but all I got was a bleachy-mold smell. Then I saw an article on Facebook to spray undiluted Hydrogen peroxide on it, wait ten minutes and wipe off. Repeat as needed. That did take care of the mold under my sink. Hope it helps you, too!
Old 08-17-2015, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Michellesews View Post
I had this problem from a leak under my sink. I tried bleach but all I got was a bleachy-mold smell. Then I saw an article on Facebook to spray undiluted Hydrogen peroxide on it, wait ten minutes and wipe off. Repeat as needed. That did take care of the mold under my sink. Hope it helps you, too!
Hmmmmmm, well, I have multiple mold affected cases, I can try both.

Thanks for the idea.

Joe
Old 08-17-2015, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
When we researched how to remove mold we found borax works better than anything.
http://moldblogger.com/how-borax-kills-mold/

Recipe: Combine 1 cup of borax to 1 gallon of water. (1 to 16 ratio of borax to water)
Old 08-17-2015, 09:41 AM

Miriam,
Thanks for the link and info. My sister just gave us a box of borax so we will try the tips.

Elaine
Old 08-17-2015, 09:43 AM
Banned

No, no no no NO! BLEACH DOES NOT KILL MOLD! (Sorry for yelling) All bleach does is, well, bleach the color out of mold. It does not kill it. And it actually makes mold spores explode, that's why when you use bleach on mold it will come right back. A borax solution, or vinegar are the best ways to kill it without bleaching the color of whatever you're cleaning. Hydrogen peroxide will work but also has color bleaching issues.

Cari