Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
MUSTY ODOR in Featherweight case!! >

MUSTY ODOR in Featherweight case!!

MUSTY ODOR in Featherweight case!!

Old 01-19-2012, 02:08 PM

I used odor eaters and Bounce. It has worked wonders.
I have left them in the case when using the machine and
also when I store the machine.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by JoantheQuilter View Post
I have had my featherweight for just over a year. When it arrived, I immediately noticed a nasty, musty odor in the case. I have sprayed with vinegar water, washed with vinegar water, washed with ammonia, set it in sunshine for a day, sprayed with Lysol, but nothing has helped. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? Thanks so much.
Here are several things you can do. Check to see if the felt pad on the bottom inside is new or caked with oil and uglies. If it is then but a new one, several places on line have these. This is step one.

Leave the machine out of the case for several weeks and place a bar of safeguard soap in box but open in the case and close it upl Do this after cleaning with a very weak sollution of clorox. This will kill any mildew spores on the surface of the case liner. One of the things that cause this problem are tiny pinpricks in the vinyl lining allowing the glues used to adhere the vinyl to become moist. So keep a couple of the little pouches that remove moisture (like those that come in shoe boxes) in the case always.

If these two things do not solve the problem the last will require you to wait until the weather gets hot, but I guarantee it will probably remove the "doggie" breath. Pack the case with newspaper, place it in the trunk of your car in the unmerciful heat of summer, and leave it there about a week, change the paper every couple of days until the odor is pretty much gone. I have even deodorized musty manuals by cutting sheets of newsprint and slipping between pages and placing in a paper bag, it once took me almost 6 months to completely deodorize the manual, and I think I changed the paper about 3 or 4 times, so hang in there, the newsprint and hot car work wonders. Oh btw the trunk may smell funky for a time after you do ths.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:17 PM

I saw a post once that said turn machine over. The felt pad underneat was what was moldy as these machines are metal. Replace any pieces of felt or fabric. Don't know about case! Allergic to mold! Good luck
Old 01-23-2012, 07:41 PM

I just experienced this. And mine was really, really bad. I put it outside in the sun for a week - no help. I washed it inside and out with mild soap and water. I sprayed fa-breeze. I put a coffee filter with 3 heaps of coffee in - nope. Finally, I got a bar of safeguard and an auto teardrop shaped deodorizer. It seems to be fine and I attribute it to the soap more than anything. It simply lives in there now. I have it just laying in the tray on top, but I think I'll make a thin little bag for it to just live there forever. When it gets yellow or whatever, I'll potato peel it and put it back. I have also been told it's from the glue. Mostly the interior paper glue. (Which I think is still the horse hide glue used inside also).
Old 02-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

How do you get the musty odor out of the machine??? No felt on the bottom - just a musty smell from the machine..... phew
Old 02-21-2012, 04:50 AM

I have changed the green pad inside(not on the bottom) and now I keep it in a zipperes bag with two snuggle fabric sheets. It smells wonderful!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
How do you get the musty odor out of the machine??? No felt on the bottom - just a musty smell from the machine..... phew
Check my post #32, it will work if you put the machine in its case with newspapers in a hot car, if things are really bad, put the machine in a plastic garbage bag with lots of newspapers and close it up in trunk of your car for about a week. Just dont forget what is in the garbage bag.lol
Old 02-21-2012, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by JoantheQuilter View Post
I have had my featherweight for just over a year. When it arrived, I immediately noticed a nasty, musty odor in the case. I have sprayed with vinegar water, washed with vinegar water, washed with ammonia, set it in sunshine for a day, sprayed with Lysol, but nothing has helped. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? Thanks so much.
I would try stuffing it with crumpled up newspaper & change it about every week & really stick to it till it's gone. I know a lady that had baught a quilting hoop she couldn't even bring in the house. I told her to wrap it with newspaper, & some weeks later , she told me it had worked.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:55 AM

The BBQ charcoal worked for mine. Left them in for 2 weeks and the smell was gone.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:04 PM

I put my case out in the sun for days on end htis past summer, also used Irish Spring soap sitting in the case when I brought it in. these 2 things did help.

I have read on this board probably that the smell is from old oil and grease dripping into the case liner throughout the years.