My Featherweight and new plug

Old 06-11-2014, 09:40 AM

Default My Featherweight and new plug

I posted the other day that I took my 221 machine out to give it a good cleaning and oiling. Upon inspection I noticed that the wiring for the foot controller and light seemed a bit "crunchy" sounding, so I ordered a new set of wires, plug and foot controller. They arrived very quickly by mail.

So now I want to plug in my new wiring and play with my newly cleaned and oiled machine but, I cannot get the plug pushed in enough into the machine. It is so tight. I have even tried giving it a few taps on the end to try and push it in. Is there a trick to getting this new plug pushed in enough to get the machine sewing? It is an Alphasew foot controller and wire set. Any suggestions please? Thank you!
Old 06-11-2014, 11:53 AM

I called my husband in from outside to come and see why the machine would not start sewing and he got his Electrical Reader and tested the plug and found that there is no power to the foot controller, so that is why I can't get the machine to start sewing. What a bummer! Now I will need to contact the seller of this set.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:03 AM

Well, that's disconcerting! I'm about to buy a new electronic controller for my Featherweight. Did you buy from one of the dealers (221 parts or Nova) or on eBay? Seems to me the seller shouldn't give you a hard time either way.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:16 AM

brandeesmom,

Is the new cord set a molded plug type or a screw together type? If molded it's junk and there's nothing you can do to get inside it to fix it. If it's a screw together type then you can open it up and put the wires in the right place.

It sounds to me like the manufacturer got the wires in the wrong place - or, someone rewired your machine in the past and wired it wrong.

There are wiring diagrams out there so you can check the way your machine is wired.

Joe
Old 06-12-2014, 08:53 AM

Yes it is the molded plug, my husband cannot get into it to check it out. I will be returning it to the seller. Thank you.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:22 AM

You can use a continuity or ohm meter to check the wires on a set up like that. The wiring diagrams will tell you where the connections should be.

Joe
Old 06-12-2014, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
You can use a continuity or ohm meter to check the wires on a set up like that. The wiring diagrams will tell you where the connections should be.

Joe
Hubby checked it out and though he found power, there had to be something wrong from that hard rubber plug to the machine connection. The light worked....but not the machine. Hubby mailed it back to the seller and then went to the hardware store and bought new wiring/plug end and rewired. He used the same Singer foot peddle and plug to the machine, it works beautifully now and I am a happy girl!
Old 06-12-2014, 05:24 PM

I love it when the hubby comes to the rescue. There are times when I swear to myself that I am not going to ask DH to check something out for me. But then, I always do, because most of the time he comes through with flying colors. I guess I just need to get that attitude of mine in check, huh? Needless to say, I had to ask the same type of favor from my husband last week when my FW stopped right in the middle of a seam, and I could not get it to make another stitch. Mine was a short in the connections inside the foot control and I was afraid to ask him to do it because I figured he would say he didn't want to mess with the electrical stuff. It makes me mad when he says he doesn't want to mess with me and my stuff......