Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My first 2014 Thrift Store Escapade >

My first 2014 Thrift Store Escapade

My first 2014 Thrift Store Escapade

Old 01-06-2014, 10:29 AM

Wish I still lived up north. I'd make a try at the desk. Nice and solid. I've got three boys, the more solid the better!! Robyn
Old 01-06-2014, 12:58 PM

I was totally convinced by the replies in this thread to keep it. We squeezed it into the cargo trailer for now. I would have put a note in the first post to say we are keeping it but the edit feature only lasts a little while. I apologize to those who think it is still available...

I am still trying to figure out how to get it into my hobby room without having to put in a new set of patio doors! I think I will repaint the desk white and lime green with a dash of turquoise and gold leaf accents. I love colors and it is just so big and ugly brown it needs my signature funky chic artistic touches. ( smiles sheepishly)
Old 01-06-2014, 01:35 PM

Wish FL was not so far away, would love that desk. Find a good home for it, put it on craigs list but there has to be someone who would love it and is close enough to get it.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:09 PM

Hey there is the same desk on CL in Las Vegas for $50.00 Sure you are from Northern Cal? I would love to have it too but no room. My son lives in Anderson, maybe he would want it. He has a truck and a strong son! PM me if you still want to get it gone.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:14 PM

I bought a used desk at a thrift store it is 72" by 36" with 5 drawers. Managed to get a hole cut in the top, no center drawer, fashioned a piece of plywood for a shelf under the hole and now I can use any of my portables in it. It is wonderful.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:35 PM

i still have to find a good deal at my local GW stores or any thrift store for that matter. for some reason they think that they can overpriced those machines.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:42 PM

I don't usually find good buys on machines locally. I have to drive to other towns and look for dinky little second hand mom and pop shops hiding on small side streets and not on the main drags. It does take effort and travel for me. I probably spend $5.00-15.00 for a machine and $35.00 gas, $15-25.00 for food and three to five hours searching and making the rounds.

Like my finds in my original post. As someone posted earlier the treasure hunt for the machines can be exhilarating and a lot of fun.

Two flea markets and three second hand stores. Took hours. One we had never been to before and it was closing its doors for good on that day. We left at 8:30 and didn't get home until about 3:00

So hang in there and keep trying different avenues if you can.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by NopahDesertRat View Post
Hey there is the same desk on CL in Las Vegas for $50.00 Sure you are from Northern Cal? I would love to have it too but no room. My son lives in Anderson, maybe he would want it. He has a truck and a strong son! PM me if you still want to get it gone.
OOPs. need to read the whole thread.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:22 AM

I want to echo the earlier statement: good luck on the "only one typewriter" thing- I have 40+ typewriters in the garage, and with my latest Vintage Sewing Machines addiction things are getting crowded. I'm already up to a dozen sewing machines in various stages of service. I'm sure most of the responses here are of the "enabling" kind, so keep up the search for future machines... they're fun to work on and use!
Old 01-07-2014, 05:34 AM

If you plan on using it for a Desk, get a nice Desk Blotter for the Top or a nice piece of Beveled Glass to cover the top and the cracks where the sewing machine would go... Love the Photos of the desk outside and inside... My girlfriend used an old buffet- cut the legs off and it set way lower - she used it for a TV Stand... plus it had storage too. so yes you will be glad that you kept it... Can't wait to see photos when you get it refinished... A piece of Granite or other Solid Counter top would look Good too.

Last edited by Jean in Ohio13452; 01-07-2014 at 05:45 AM.