My first Singer machine

Old 04-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

She is a beauty :D:D:D Lucky, Lucky, YOU!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 05:12 PM

I have one just like her. She belonged to my great aunt.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Born2Sew
I have one just like her. She belonged to my great aunt.
Do you use yours or is it kept for sentimental reasons?? I wanted this one just for piecing. She makes such a nice stitch. The lady I bought her from had been using her for her upholstery business. She bought an industrial machine the first of this year and decided to sell this one. So she has really earned her keep through the years. The ad for this one was way back in March and I was really surprised it was still available. She had several people come by to take a look but all they wanted was the cabinet. She said they deserved to stay together and was just waiting for the right person to come by. Me, me, me!! She has a good home now!!
Old 04-25-2010, 05:30 PM

I hate to admit this, but I haven't used it in a long long time. Lately, I've been wanting to, but not sure where I would move it to be able to use it. Right now it is in the room with my uncle. It does stitch a beautiful straight stitch. Now that I seem to be doing more quilting than garment sewing, I think I would love using it.

Congratulations on your lucky purchase! You were indeed fortunate to get so much with it too. I don't recall ever having a manual for mine. Not much else came with it that I recall either. It is sad when people only want the cabinet and not the machine. How little they realize that these machines are worth their weight in gold.

Golly, I learned something, didn't know you could lower the feed dogs on it!
Old 04-25-2010, 05:36 PM

and I thought I was bad with a treadle, a husky, a pfaff, and a serger. I am definitely not keeping up with the jone's
Old 04-25-2010, 05:40 PM

I have more machines than I have good sense. Perhaps it's because I am getting older myself, but the vintage machines are definitely becoming more sacred to me as the years pass.
They are much more reliable, sew better, are easier to maintain and have less to go wrong. So, of all the machines I own, the old mechanical ones are swiftly becoming my favs.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:40 PM

Born2Sew,
I was given two manuals for the machine. If yours is a 15-91, I would be more than willing to send you one. Just PM me.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Born2Sew
I have more machines than I have good sense. Perhaps it's because I am getting older myself, but the vintage machines are definitely becoming more sacred to me as the years pass.
They are much more reliable, sew better, are easier to maintain and have less to go wrong. So, of all the machines I own, the old mechanical ones are swiftly becoming my favs.
I agree with you 100%. Two of my Kenmores are from the middle 60s and I like them but they are super heavy. Thank goodness they are both in cabinets. I have a hard time leaving machines I see in thrift stores. They look so pathetic..just like a puppy at the pound. So I bring them home and clean them up. But I do miss the needle up/down and the needle threader. Eyesight is definitely not what it used to be lol.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Pam

A terrific find on Louise. I am sure you two will have a great time together.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:50 AM

Awesome...enjoy it!