My Husband's Ladies - part 1

Old 08-10-2013, 08:00 AM

Default My Husband's Ladies - part 1

My husband has a slightly different criteria for his collection - Mostly he's developed a hankering for a specific machine, and then amazingly - it falls into his lap for really cheap. The "really cheap" is one of his main criteria. Though we've had to put a stop to that, can't have him bringing home any one he finds for $25 and under.

I started collecting Singers in January - I was looking for the one like I learned to sew on. And DH decided he wanted to do some of his own sewing, making padded check rests and ammo packs. Neither of us really wanted him sewing on my main machine. So we set out to find him one.

I wanted to get him a Singer 237, nice sturdy machine, inexpensive. He decided he really wanted an open arm - and would love an older Viking 6570 like my very first sewing machine. They are a bit out of his price range - so in the end we found a 534 in a cabinet locally for $100. A bit over what he likes to pay (and probably more than it was worth). We went to look at it, and the poor machine stunk. The seller was near our age - had moved to SD to take care of ailing Mom - mom had passed 6 years ago and it was time to finish cleaning out the house. So not only did this machine have a bad case of "musty basement" it also had endured a lifetime of second hand smoke. The machine was yellow when we got her, but she cleaned up very well. Cabinet was fully stripped and refinished.

She was suppose to be DH's main squeeze - but instead she's now in a case and will be heading to GA for our son. He will have instructions "sell the machine and we disinherit you", just in case he has any ideas.

So DH had a machine of his own, and cleaned her all up and started sewing. But like all of us, you just can't stop at one. He still had a hankering for a Viking, and I found him one.

Like his "first love" - Viking 21C

His Granny had a machine like this, and when we first got married (34 years ago) he bought one and then sold it when we had babies to feed. When I started collecting in January, he got interested in finding one of these again. I was looking on Craigslist - also looking in areas I have friends and relatives living (I have lots of enablers). Found this in a small add - bad picture of it in the case on it's side. "I got Grandma's Machine and want to sell it. Don't know anything about it $30 cash" area listed as Madison WI.

So I called my sister in Madison, and she said it was about an hour away - but she drove right past when she was coming to visit Mom, but didn't know when she'd be there next. I told her if it wasn't going to work, that was fine.

Next morning I get an email "hope you wanted that machine - I'll be picking it up next week on my way in, already paid seller via Paypal". The machine made it from WI to MN and I had plans to pick her up on the next visit in a few weeks. Fully addicted to old machines, and knowing I was making a trip into the Twin Cities of MN (400 miles away). I started looking at the Craigslist enroute. And what do I find? A Singer 237 for $25. Listing was almost a month old, but I called and it was still available. This had been the seller's Grandmother's machine, and while he had fond memories, his two daughters had none and prefered sewing on their Mom's machine. The machine needed cleaning and adjusting - it didn't sew right, and he wasn't going to spend the money to fix a machine his daughters didn't want. So DH and I took the back way and picked up this machine in a town of about 500 population.

We ended up giving away the cabinet (with a model 15) to a 12 year old budding quilting and vintage machine addict. The 237 is in one of my collected cabinets.

So we had one machine loaded up with a disassembled cabinet, and we headed out. We picked up the Viking while visiting, and the next day headed home. We stopped in Owattona to check out a couple of Antique/Thrift shops, and at the first one DH found a 403A in a case. They wanted $175, and it didn't sew quite right - DH had read that the 400 series were very nice machines, but it was out of his price range - so back on the shelf it went.

We stopped for lunch and then another antique mall place and started looking around. I spied a singer cabinet - and peaked underneath - then found DH and showed it to him. We took the display off the top and opened her up - DH's eyes got big - another 403A!. No price tag, but they had other machines in the $30-40 range. DH asked, Owner said it wasn't his but he thought $40 - DH offered $35 - and the machine and cabinet went out the door with us. We removed the machine and disassebled the cabinet - we were pretty happy to fit three machines and two cabinets in the car - and we still had some room! We make it back to the west side of MN, and I'm using my smartphone to check out our local Craigslist and find another green viking - no price - I call and she says "$50 is as low as I'll go" so we ended up coming home with four sewing machines that trip.

Here is DH's 403A. DH didn't care for the cabinet it came in, so found him this desk style. (I collect cabinets, so it worked for me LOL!)

And then DH told me "I'd still like to get a Viking like your first machine . . ."
Old 08-10-2013, 09:34 AM

Part 2

We decided we'd bite the bullet and spend the bigger bucks and won a "fully functioning" 6570 off ebay. Machine showed up with some bent parts and would only sew backwards. Seller admitted he took someone else's word that it sewed, refunded our money and let us keep the machine as he didn't want to pay to ship it back. Then we won a second from Goodwill - figured the money went to a good cause even if it didn't work - and it didn't . . . By know DH had been researching and learned a lot more about issues with the 6000 series Vikings (they are NOT something a beginner should try to deal with) and we ended up picking up a third about 3 hours away - was a nice afternoon road trip. And in the end, DH has his 6570 (still needs some work) and a lot of part to sell on Ebay. He used parts from all three (and some purchased) to get one working machine.

I don't mind, I like having a machine around like my first. BTW - my sis-in-law still has my old machine, but she wasn't willing to part with it. She said it had "issues" but it worked fine for the little sewing she did. I sold it to her 33 years ago . . .

So one would think DH would be happy with his current harem - but he found THIS BOARD - and that is when the real problems started . . .

Unbeknown to me, he started reading and then lusting after more machines. On one of our monthly visits to my Mom, we stopped at a quilt shop that had a class going on. And there were several ladies with older Berninas there, and I guess they caught his eye -( the machines, not the ladies LOL!!). Next I knew, he was "watching" Berninas on ebay, and with QB's help, and developed a desire for a Bernina 830 Record.

I figured me and his current machines were safe - the chances of him finding 830 Record in his price range were very slim . . . but some power higher than me had other plans.

By this time, my whole family was aware of our interest in old sewing machines, For a bit of background, I come from a large family (10 living siblings) - there are over 30 grandchildren and most are married now with kids of their own. One of my nephews and his wife live with Mom, and his wife is her full time caretaker, otherwise Mom would need to be in a nursing home. The "farm" was sold long ago, but the developer agreed to wait until Mom and Dad were gone - so Mom is still living there - Dad passed last fall, and Mom is could go at any time.

We know the place will be bulldozed - so Nephew is in the process of cleaning up the buildings and getting rid of stuff. Five years ago one of my brothers "M", and his family moved back to MN, and he left a load of crap in one of the sheds. He told Nephew "I don't want it, do what you want with it".

So we are visiting Mom (I'm trying to make the trip once a month). And nephew says to DH "You like sewing machines, right? M left one out in the shed, you can have it if you want".

So DH and I head out to the shed - this is a large shed (was a working farm at one time) and is now filled with assorted stuff. We were looking around and trying to find something that Nephew might think was a sewing machine. . . DH was looking for a cabinet, I was looking for a case. We both had walked all around, and I figure there had to be something . . . and then my brain clicked - there was a RED case in with some other stuff. Now, I had no idea what came in red cases - some non-Singer . . .

I said "here it is!" DH came over and still wasn't seeing it (was thinking "cabinet") I said "The RED case" and DH"s eyes got real big. Now he knew what came in a red case.

We pulled it out - and I said, "hey, it says "Bernina" on the case." DH opened it, looked, closed it and took it and locked it in the back of the truck.

I said "I take it you want it" and he replied "this one is coming home with us" We didn't say much about it at the time. He told Nephew "thanks" and it wasn't until we were on the road that DH spilled the beans.

It was a Bernina 830 Record with all the attachments in wonderful shape. Then DH asked me if I was playing a joke on him - bought the machine and had Nephew put it there for him to find, as the chances of finding his current "Dream Machine" like that for free . . .

I finally said "Look, Hun, you know I'm no good at keeping secrets".

DH still does not want me to ask Brother M about it. We have a sneaking suspision it belonged to M's wife. We found evidence the machine came from WI - and so did she, and I know her current machine is a much newer Bernina . . . But M is also a pack rat, so it would be just like him to have picked this up from someone intending to get it running, and then never doing it. Some day I will ask M, but I assured DH it is staying with us.

This lady needed a new cord - the foot pedal was there, but the cord was all chewed up. The machine making rat's nests something fierce. DH ordered a cord and put a older foot pedal on it (he did not want to cut up the original cord and pedal) and got her sewing beautifully.

She hasn't quite displaced the 403A - just sits on top.

Now, one would think after finding his "dream girl", my DH would be satisfied - but no, someone on QB got to talking about the older Pfaffs - and DH remembered seeing one tucked into a corner at the Antique shop 50 miles away. I know we'd looked at it a few times and DH had not showed any interest, but now he KNEW what a 130 was, and we made the trip to look her over. I know this machine had been there for at least a year. We had been stopping at this place long before we started looking for sewing machine related items. She'd been marked down and DH brought her home for $22.50 with a case

She needed a new motor - and he had to replace some parts - but here she is, with her black backpack too! She's in a singer cabinet now - a nice sturdy cabinet! Dh says those German women must have been pretty strong to consider this machine a portable.

She's a brute of a machine. If you think older black Singers are heavy girls - give this one a lift LOL!!

OK - one man should be satisfied now - but no - you all got to talking about 201's. And then on our last trip, what does DH find, but a nice 201 in a case for $25! Of course he couldn't pass her up, and now she's got second place in his sewing lineup. I have my own 201, but he didn't want to share.

Yesterday, I caught him mumbling about "Janome" . . . I may have to lock him off this site!

Last edited by Macybaby; 08-10-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:05 AM

Awesome story Macybaby I enjoyed reading every word of it!! I wish I could hook my husband on machines lol!!! I wish I could hook anybody in my life on machines hahaha. I need partner in crime!
Old 08-10-2013, 10:06 AM

PS your hubby is wonderful!!
Old 08-10-2013, 10:08 AM

Very nice collection. He is lucky with his finds. Does he let you use any of them with your quilting?
Old 08-10-2013, 10:59 AM

what a great story!! And so nice you can share the hunt, wish my DH was a bit of a hunter LOL Love the Pfaff!!
Old 08-10-2013, 02:39 PM

I can identify with every word...once your interested is aroused, it's hard to stop it. Loved your post....truth is stranger (and more interesting) than fiction sometimes. I'm on the hunt for a Sphinx decaled machine that is in good working order, but I'll never find that without paying some bucks. Your hubby is extremely lucky in his finds. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:21 PM

I love, love, love your story, LOL. When men get into something, it's big time. Right? Let him go. It's a good hobby. He may have a very creative mind. Put it to good use.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:48 PM

Well...My Mother In Law gave me a Bernina 830. It is out of timing..I told my Repair guy I was just going to throw it away...*GASP* This after he fixed it and it is still not working right and BEFORE I knew of vintage machines..HAHAHA and yes..repair guy said not to throw her away.

Now I will fix it..I should find a red case huh.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

Great story, and such terrific finds!