My new featherweight arrived!

Old 05-24-2012, 06:15 PM

What leads you to think she has been repainted? My 1934 has decal wear exactly like yours, which is why I ask. Mine has not been repainted, however, there is an area where the clear coat has come off, showing the paint underneath to be dull.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:24 PM

You can see it on the bed of the machine where the just did a crummy paint job without sanding and the paint doesn't match, it's not the same. Also on the light you can tell they painted. I was debating on whether to try and redo it and think I have decided against it. She sews beautifully and it's only cosmetic that needs fixing. My other FW is perfect in appearance but skips stitches once in awhile. Guess I can't have it all!
Old 05-25-2012, 01:49 AM

I have a Singer 404 slant that is in rough shape. Like your feather weight, she sews beautifully. I've thought many times about selling her but I end up keeping her because she is so ugly only a mother could love her. I'd only sell her if I knew she would go to a good home and not be parted out.

Enjoy your new baby - she has earned her scars.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:21 AM

She indeed has earned her scars. I at first wanted to cover up the scratches on my 1945 FW, and then decided against it. I'm as old as my machine, and I have scars too. With the missing decals, it shows that she was loved, appreciated and USED. She did not sit in a closet neglected. Just think of the stories she could tell if she could talk. And the best thing is that she sews so nicely. Maybe your other one was the one neglected in the closet and not appreciated. I have a friend who has just such a FW. Her FIL gave it to her years ago, maybe new at the time, and that is all she does is sit in the closet 'just in case' she needs to be used to mend something. the woman doesn't sew, just mends when she needs to. How sad for her little FW.