Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My white featherweight is again working >

My white featherweight is again working

My white featherweight is again working

Old 11-20-2016, 05:51 AM

Red face My white featherweight is again working

About a month ago I posted that my featherweight stopped working. I just want to let any interested that it is home and humming perfect again. When I was putting it in it's case to take it to my sewing machine guy, a little piece fell out of it. It was about an inch long piece along with a tiny screw. Luckily I saw both little pieces and took them along with my machine. My service machine guy knew right away where it belonged - in the area behind the tension dial (inside the machine). Once it was put where it came from, all was well. I am so thankful this repairman knows featherweights so well. He is getting older but his son is training to take his place. I asked him why this happened as featherweights are supposed to be made so well. He said nothing is perfect and things do happen. So all is well again.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:11 AM

Very nice to hear Karamarie. I have come to much the same conclution as your sewing machine guy, as long as we live on earth things happen and as long as things can be sorted out they are perfect enough for me :- )
Old 11-20-2016, 09:14 AM

I think you have to realize that the machine while made well originally is very old. My husband and I do vintage cars. My 66 Mustang is the best most reliable car either of us have ever owned but it still needs maintenance and repair. Nothing last forever and unless you've owned something since it was first sold, you don't know how it was treated in the past.

I have a beautiful Rocketeer that my husband bought me. The center of the hand wheel won't loosen so I can wind the bobbin. I just wind it on my 301 for now and next spring I'll take it in and have them look at it and tune it up. I consider regular trips to the sewing machine guy a part of owning machines. They have to be kept in good condition to give good service. Just like cars.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 11-20-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:19 AM

Oh, lucky you for finding the little pieces. Boy, it would be hard to recover them. I love the Featherweight. Good for you.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:27 AM

My girl friend and I just took a 4 hr. class on how to maintain a featherweight. I could send you the info if you like,it tell where to oil the machine.
I also have a white one, it does not need any grease. Love my little Lucy.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:06 AM

Hi abby janke, I just saw your response about your class. I found a little cream colored fw at a store a couple of years ago and have been wanting to work on her but I'm afraid I'll do something wrong. Could you send me the info you have on the class you took? It would be invaluable! [email protected]
Thaks!
Charlie
Originally Posted by abby janke View Post
My girl friend and I just took a 4 hr. class on how to maintain a featherweight. I could send you the info if you like,it tell where to oil the machine.
I also have a white one, it does not need any grease. Love my little Lucy.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:28 AM

Check pinterest, there is a lot of things on our beautiful featherweights machines
Old 11-27-2016, 07:36 PM

Abby, I really appreciate the maintenance info. I received it and wanted to say thanks.