National Reversew timeing

Old 11-15-2015, 06:26 PM

Default National Reversew timeing

Does anyone know how to check and adjust the timing on a National / Eldredge Reversew VS machine?
This thread has pics of it: { http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...o-t271891.html }

Now that I have this one cleaned and lubed it won't stitch very long without breaking the top thread. And it's bent two needles on me.
I've run into some variations of info, but mostly the data I've found says 20x1 needles. Unfortunately they vary a lot.
One needle was bent when the point of the shuttle somehow got between it and the machine body. OUCH!

So any help would be appreciated.

Joe
Old 11-16-2015, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Does anyone know how to check and adjust the timing on a National / Eldredge Reversew VS machine?
I've run into some variations of info, but mostly the data I've found says 20x1 needles. Unfortunately they vary a lot.
One needle was bent when the point of the shuttle somehow got between it and the machine body. OUCH!

So any help would be appreciated.

Joe
I was hoping someone would chime in that actually had experience that machine. I've only tried any timing issues with a Singer 626 (it actually needs to be adjusted some more). I got it to pretty well zigzag but I really wanted it to chainstitch. I did get it to do that. However, a while back, I refurbished a coworker's 1930ish Franklin long shuttle. The info I had for it said that it took 20x1 needles and I researched way too long to figure out how/where to get needles for it. I finally decided to jump in and start cleaning and polishing. I kept finding needle tips in different places. I think I found about 4 or 5 of them. I decided that I would just try some 15x1 and see what happened. It worked fine and was able to make a bag for the controller. The machine is at the shop and I even had another guy ask if I could fix a backpack. We pulled the machine out and fixed on the spot.

Just a suggestion to try a regular 15x1 needle - Maybe sometime in its life it got adjusted to use the more easily obtainable needles or maybe it was made that way originally.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:41 AM

I haven't had to time any of my Nationals. I have the Expert B.T. It should be similar mechanically. Would it help if I dig it out and have a look?
Rodney
Old 11-16-2015, 03:11 PM

Our Work Bench,

Checked the 15x1 angle. This one has not been altered for that needle. I've been researching the problems and it might come down to some sort of bent or out of alignment of the needle bar. For some reason the tip of the shuttle is hitting the needle.

Rodney,

All help appreciated.

Joe
Old 11-16-2015, 03:27 PM

Joe, have you tried moving the shuttle carrier a little? I know that when you bought a new Boye shuttle, the instructions that came with them said that the carrier may have to be moved to account for the difference in wear of the old/new shuttles. Maybe your carrier got moved out of adjustment.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:31 PM

By the way. The National "Queen of the West" in Zorba's blog is mine....that's the machine that was sitting in the kitchen when you & Elaine were here.

Last edited by path49; 11-16-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:18 AM

Pat,

I suppose it possible the shuttle carrier has gotten moved. What I need is specs on how to set the clearances.

I'll have to go back to Zorba's and check out your machine. Is this the one that you needed that odd ball foot controller for?

Joe
Old 11-17-2015, 09:15 AM

No, that knee controller went to a Wards Supreme Reversible Rotary....also a National. The Queen of the West actually has the same knee controller though....only shiny black.