Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: National Two Spools CAN

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    I think you are right. The thread would have to be purchased on the correct size spool, otherwise you would have to wind thread onto the right size spool, and that would mean a special spool winder. LOL
    The spool winder is "built onto" the machine... You can see it in the pic of the whole machine. That's how I ended up doing this with the wood spools for other machines:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t205624.html

I may have just happened into one of these bad boys in an oak parlour cabinet.

Note to self: Want one!

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    Wow, interesting I have never seen this.

Me either, what kind I'd machines are they used on?
    LaQuita (aka) - Yai-Yai to the most precious grandbaby around of course I'm partial! LOL

HAPPY QUILTING!
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/shea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LAQUITA View Post
    Me either, what kind I'd machines are they used on?
    The bobbin can like that is used only on the Elderidge two spools sewing machine - that is it no other machine was made that way. I found one and Glenn bought it from me. The engineering and metal work on those old machines is a whole lot better than the newer stuff available today and they won't fail if properly cared for.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

im a newbie to this,use to use my moms old national two spool as a kid,forgot everything! i am in desperate need of a can! mine was lost over the years of hauling it around, need some other parts ,can anyone help me find a can or point me in the right direction?

Welcome to the board!

Good luck, there is always hope...

Welcome Kevin! The cans are highly sought after by the people who need them and tend to be very expensive if you find one at all. All I can suggest is the usual sources like Ebay.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

what would i be expected to pay for a "can"?

1. there are three styles of cans - which one do you need?

2. Since you need a can and some other parts - find another machine on craigslist in your area - or maybe goodwill. Online - If the seller knows what they have and lists it correctly, it should sell for $100 + (just the can), in two years I've only seen a few come up. Most people get the machine dirt cheap, and then whine when they find out how much they are going to pay for the can - but the machine without the can is only worth the parts on it.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Use searchcraigslist.org to check all of the US at once. It is probably your best chance to find one.

Macybaby has the best idea. Can you post a picture of your sewing machine? I have a Two Spool with the spool case and can post a picture of it so you can compare it with mine. I think there was also a thread here on the Vintage board showing pictures of the three different cases perhaps started by Macybaby.
    Sweet Caroline

im still trying to understand why the bobbin winder on this machine?

also if anyone has a lead on a "can" i need one , anyone got any leads ?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin g View Post
    im still trying to understand why the bobbin winder on this machine?
    According to my manual one could wind zephyr (?) yarn or smaller yarns on a #50 (wood) spool by placing the wood spool on the spool winder. The manual refers to Initial or Pennant work two terms that I am not familiar with. But I am assuming that it may be a kind of cording work as it does mention that the design in yarn appears on the underside.
    Sweet Caroline

I have one, too! Only, mine is called "National" Two Spool. Macybaby also has one (her DH claims ownership of that one, though)! LOL

The spool canister for these machines is very expensive. Despite knowing that e-bay is way over-priced (INMHO), there was a listing for one of these canisters, with the bidding starting at $300.000. Now, that's way more than I would want to pay. I'm glad mine had the spool when I inherited it from my aunt! There are photos in the photo section for Vintage an Antique Machines!

Jeanette

Vintagemotif,

The canister for my machine is just like the one you have pictured on the bottom. We have cleaned the machine up and lubricated it thoroughy, but the cabinet desperately needs refinishing and we haven't gotten that done yet -- I cannot work on it now because of serious back problems -- just had a myelogram this morning -- I hope to get the cabinet work done soon so I can use the machine!

Jeanette

Miriam, The bobbin "can" or "canister" which came on my National Two Spool machine is the same as Vintagemotif shows in her photos. All I can say about the machine, in addition to it's beauty and functionality, is that it is one heavy beast!

Jeanette

Ladies, I have found that certain "plastic" spools (the small ones in mending kits -- not the tiny ones) The wooden spool that is in my canister measures 1" in diameter and 1-1/4" high. This spool fits pretty loosely in the canister, so the thread spool could be a tiny bit larger, bit not much larger.

Jeanette

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    According to my manual one could wind zephyr (?) yarn or smaller yarns on a #50 (wood) spool by placing the wood spool on the spool winder. The manual refers to Initial or Pennant work two terms that I am not familiar with. But I am assuming that it may be a kind of cording work as it does mention that the design in yarn appears on the underside.
    Sounds like bobbin work where you sew upside down with the heavy decorative thread in the bobbin.
    Be happy the machine has a winder. You're going to have to search a bit for some wooden spools to fit your can when you find one as well. Chances are the spools will need to be filled.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

A variable speed drill works in a pinch. I have a 12,000 yd spool of burgandy thread I wanted to use with the serge, so DH set up his drill, took four empty large spools and filled them up for me. We thought about doing it with the Two Spool, but ours is treadle so the drill was a better idea.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I don't really need to search far for #50 wood thread spools. I collect them like fabric and vintage sewing machines. As you can see in the first pic, the #50 fits perfectly in my spool can. Imagine, the cheapest price on my spools is 15 cents.

Attached Images Attached Images

Sweet Caroline

Caroline, I've got some of these spools you are welcome to have, will bring them to our next get together.

Cari

Quote Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
    Caroline, I've got some of these spools you are welcome to have, will bring them to our next get together. Cari
    I accept your kind offer Cari. Thank you a bunch of spools.
    Sweet Caroline

My cousin in Oklahoma has collected all kinds of wood spools over the years, so she is saving those for me. I do believe that the spools in that mending kit I previously mentioned will work, but haven't been able to try them yet!
    Jeanette There are two "brands" of machines who use the two-spool technology, the Eldredge Two Spool and the National Two Spool (I think both are manufactured by the same company).
    Jeanette

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast