National VB-TT Type 5

Old 05-11-2020, 06:38 AM

Default National VB-TT Type 5

I picked up this National VB-TT Type 5 vibrating shuttle machine about a month ago, for $10 in the table, and shortly thereafter found this site. I didn't know much about a VS machine but knew this was missing the shuttle and a bobbin; the machine was not in good cosmetic shape and the wiring was completely burned or melted.

With the help of Jared's detailed pictures on this thread
Need help identifying machine and parts
And questions I posed on a thread about a Boye #13 shuttle I was able to track down a shuttle that fit and the machine actually sewed some stitches!

For those interested, the machine was "motorized" but maybe by the factory, as the motor has a tag that says National Sewing Machine Co. (sorry for the fuzzy picture)? I am guessing it was originally designed for a treadle, based on the bobbin winder, but the motor has a drive wheel with two tires that turn the hand wheel and an outer pulley that lines up with the bobbin winder pulley. You can see a belt from the bobbin winder to the motor pulley, and I was able to wind a bobbin that way, applying just a little tension to the winder. I can't tell anything about the light, other than the machine was tapped to take a bolt to hold the L bracket holding the light.

Thanks for all the help, this is a great forum.

Attached Thumbnails img_0177.jpg   img_0173.jpg   img_0174.jpg   img_0176.jpg  
Old 05-11-2020, 07:58 AM

Great save and very nice stitches. Sometimes it takes a while to dial those in. Don't you love the simplicity of the leaf tension?

The dual tire friction wheels I have are on much new machines. The cogged belt gave me a giggle, but it should work fine.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:36 AM

I had no idea what the leaf tension was when I first saw it, and didn't even know what it was called, until I saw it on a thread here. I had seen pictures of machines with that system, but hurried over them. I stared at it for days before it started to make some sense.

The set up came with a Singer button style foot control, so for $10 I figured I'd be OK on the purchase. I have two other VS machines to work on now and am looking forward to them.