Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Near pristine 1952 singer 15-91 >

Near pristine 1952 singer 15-91

Near pristine 1952 singer 15-91

Old 05-17-2023, 08:56 PM
DLR

Default Near pristine 1952 singer 15-91

Just got a beautiful 15-91 that is in extremely good condition. There are a few little chips on the handwheel. Should I touch those up or just let it be?

Last edited by DLR; 05-17-2023 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:18 AM

IMO, I would leave them alone. I think it adds to the charm of having a vintage machine.

Shari
Old 05-18-2023, 04:18 AM

I would leave them be. Trying to touch them up could highlight them even more, and then you're looking at stripping and refinishing the whole handwheel.

That being said, some people have the skills to make a vintage machine look as though it just rolled off the factory line; and they look beautiful. I don't have those skills, so If I can clean them up, and get them running correctly then I'm happy.

How do you want yours to look?
Old 05-18-2023, 01:12 PM
DLR

Like new. I dont thin this has more than a few hours on it. It has never been cleaned I only found a tiny bit of dust and a little clump under the feed dogs. It still smells like new ... :->
Old 05-18-2023, 01:17 PM
DLR

Should i Clearcoat it?
Old 05-18-2023, 02:46 PM

At the top of the Vintage Enthusiasts section are a couple of threads on cleaning up vintage machines, including the shellac. I would review those thoroughly. You might also find information on touching up the spots.
Old 05-19-2023, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by DLR View Post
Just got a beautiful 15-91 that is in extremely good condition. There are a few little chips on the handwheel. Should I touch those up or just let it be?
Unless you can touch it up such that a person couldn't tell it had been repaired, I'd leave it alone. As far as clearcoating it, I wouldn't. It was never clear coated, it was shellac. I bet clearcoat and shellac won't play nice together.

The finish is original only one time. Maybe you could find a pristine handwheel. I don't think they're numbered to the machine.
Old 05-19-2023, 10:31 PM
DLR

By clearcoat I really meant shellac. I have been practicing on a couple really bad machines and I think I'm getting pretty good. I just want it to bring in the most when I sell it.
Old 05-20-2023, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by DLR View Post
By clearcoat I really meant shellac. I have been practicing on a couple really bad machines and I think I'm getting pretty good. I just want it to bring in the most when I sell it.
I'm no computer whiz, so I can't help you find the post I'm remembering. Steven H of VSS was showing how to touch up a machine. He used a black spray paint and a tiny, tiny paint brush. He sprayed a little bit of the paint into the lid, and "dabbed" it into the chipped spot. I don't know if it was this site or VSS, but it's most likely here. Janey is a whiz at finding things. Maybe she can help.

bkay
Old 05-20-2023, 06:18 AM

It is Dupli-Color DE1635 https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-D...05&sr=1-3&th=1

I have also heard/read that just carnauba wax without a bunch of additives is a good protector especially if the original finish is still intact.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)