Necchi 536FB - mystery part

Old 12-12-2014, 05:37 AM

If the motor hangs off the back like on most older machines it's a 5 minute job to switch them. If it's built in then it depends on the machine. It would be worth your time to get in your machine and clean out all the old white grease you can get to and replace it with a light synthetic grease like Tri-Flow (spelling?). Sometimes just oiling at the oiling points outside the machine isn't enough. While you have your machine open also oil your machine everywhere metal rubs against metal. A small drop of oil is enough to do it. I haven't bought any yet (I keep needing oil "now" and buy Singer oil locally-I need to plan better) but Tri-Flow has a very good reputation here for both their oil and their grease. IIRC Sew-Classic.com sells it.

I'm not sure what causes jack rabbit starts like you're experiencing with your Citation. I hope someone with more experience will chime in on that one.
Rodney
Old 12-12-2014, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by sews View Post
roguequilter, from what I've read those Japanese motors are interchangeable, IOW. one from a healthier different Japanese SM might keep your machine alive.

Maybe someone with practical experience in switching motors can chime in...?

As far as being reliable, I had read that in a few reviews I found online and it's encouraging to hear it from you as well . 1981 ..... wow, that's a long time of good service!

I just wish I had a nicer case for it -- those white plastic ones just don't appeal to me, too bland, so I'll be looking for a nice old case to add character.
i have kept the machine ...sentimental? lots of memories...sons clothes, new home dec w each move to new construction job assignment. hadn't thought about motor exchange. there is a guy on cl here in this area that sells refurbished machines of all makes & era's, i may contact him. it's such a sweet machine, easy to use i would like to teach my oldest grand daughter to sew on it. i have my grandmothers fw to teach on too, but the necchi more versatile. and it only came w a "suitcase" style case which it rattled around in, but the case did keep it safe during our frequent moves.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:58 AM

rodney - built in motor on my model. one of earlier japanese made models. friends husband at the time, a retired singer factory tech, said it was junk & wouldn't last. he didn't like japan buying out the italian necchi company . he used to service this for me and decided i had a reverse lemon lollol! i have always tried to keep it well oiled and lubed. the white grease starts getting blackish after few years of continuous daily use. i tried removing and cleaning but replaced w gear grease. it seems to run more smoothly w it. it's only on the area shown in first photo. otherwise oil to ports suggested in manual and synthetic oil like triflow to all metal to metal moving parts. esp bobbin case that starts clacking and lets me know it's time )
Old 12-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
rodney - built in motor on my model. one of earlier japanese made models. friends husband at the time, a retired singer factory tech, said it was junk & wouldn't last. he didn't like japan buying out the italian necchi company . he used to service this for me and decided i had a reverse lemon lollol! i have always tried to keep it well oiled and lubed. the white grease starts getting blackish after few years of continuous daily use. i tried removing and cleaning but replaced w gear grease. it seems to run more smoothly w it. it's only on the area shown in first photo. otherwise oil to ports suggested in manual and synthetic oil like triflow to all metal to metal moving parts. esp bobbin case that starts clacking and lets me know it's time )
Necchi didn't "sell out" to Japan. Their factory burned down and it was cost effective to move manufacturing to Japan. It kept them in the sewing machine business. Rebuilding in Italy would have tripled the price of their machines and they wouldn't have lasted.

Cari
Old 12-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Banned

The Citation isn't a Brother clone. It's a Wizard model built by Brother for Western Auto stores. The fast starting could be the belt is too tight or loose and/or the controller needs cleaned and adjusted.

Cari
Old 12-12-2014, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
The Citation isn't a Brother clone. It's a Wizard model built by Brother for Western Auto stores. The fast starting could be the belt is too tight or loose and/or the controller needs cleaned and adjusted.

Cari
I thought that's what a clone is ... badged with a different name....

Re the fast starting Citation ... I'll look at the belt, thanks for that info :-) ...

I thought it was a "sticky" pedal, with the spring too tight, and I oiled it where the hinges touch metal, but that helped only a little. The unit is clean.
It just takes too much force to push on the pedal and then it has too much give all of a sudden - or so it seems, and I don't know how to ease the tension of the spring < IF that is actually the cause....

How do you "adjust" the controller?
Old 12-12-2014, 04:39 PM

it sounds like the contacts (little wire thing) inside the foot controller has a build up. I usually lightly sand the connection. if it's really bad then fuss with it until the contact is clear between the connection.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:49 AM

I bought an older, all metal Necchi yesterday, Japanese vintage. I wanted a machine for button holes and zigzag. I have a Citation (Brother clone) but haven't been able to "connect" with that machine (yet).

So, I answered a CL ad for a Necchi 536FB in "excellent condition", available just 15 min down the road.

We met at a store (small town) and ended up crouched on the floor (!?), where the power outlet was located. The seller pressed on the foot pedal and the machine ran... I wanted to try it myself, since one of the reasons I am still machine hunting was that the Citation starts too fast and I want more control.

So, I pressed down (by hand, mind you, since we are squatting), and the needle goes real slow. I press all the way down - still real slow. I stop, start again --- even slower. What? So now she yanks at the body to look underneath. This is not her machine ("I know nothing about this machine"), but her MIL's, who is downsizing......
It seems jammed - I thought maybe a needle is stuck somewhere. I assume I can fix this and get the machine for 25 instead of 55.........

On the way home I realize there is no bobbin case or bobbin..... .. I guess spending time on the floor and inspecting the machine that way made me just want to get it done quickly.

Set up at home and now the machine doesn't move at all. WOW. Frustrating. Played around, found nothing blocking any movement, and figured I might as well oil it. And ... yes, it sowly came back to life! It was sparkling clean inside --- and dry as a bone.

There is a white substance on a gear, and I wonder if that is OK?
More importantly, a red plastic crescent was laying at the bottom of the case.... WHAT IS IT? See photos.

This machine - in "excellent condition" - also has a faulty wire to the foot pedal, so that quit on me as well... but my husband fixed it and also supplied a bobbin case and bobbin from one of his defunct machines.....

So glad the machine began to reveal its true condition before I paid full price!
It runs pretty well now, even without the red thing, whatever it might be. Any idea?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502190[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502191[/ATTACH]
The white stuff is Lithium grease, they use it in metal to metal parts in cars and trucks around bearings it can get hot and not breakdown like some lubricants I use it also myself in my older machines I have not had any problems with it so far.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Banned

I thought that's what a clone is ... badged with a different name....

Loose definition of a clone is a Japanese copy of a Singer 15. A machine badged with a different name is just that-a badged machine.

Re the fast starting Citation ... I'll look at the belt, thanks for that info :-) ...

I thought it was a "sticky" pedal, with the spring too tight, and I oiled it where the hinges touch metal, but that helped only a little. The unit is clean.
It just takes too much force to push on the pedal and then it has too much give all of a sudden - or so it seems, and I don't know how to ease the tension of the spring < IF that is actually the cause....

How do you "adjust" the controller?
You know, I just take the bottom off however it comes off and make sure the contacts are working properly. Yours could be a stiff spring but if it isn't the more I think about it if the controller itself is working properly then it could be that the motor needs cleaned and lubed, or it could still be the belt. Process of elimination should find the exact problem.

Cari