Necchi Royal Series machine

Old 11-24-2018, 05:55 PM

Default Necchi Royal Series machine

Model 3205FA-
I purchased this machine new a lot of years ago......I can't even remember how long ago. Reason to buy was my Bernina would not sew through a rubbery type of fabric and the demo was through multiple layers of denim. I used it a few times and it has since just sat getting dusty.

Long story short, I tried to changed the needle to a Schmetz Jean needle for sewing the microwave bowl cozys for Christmas presents. After multiple tries I gave up as I could not get the needle in. I found some "Organ" needles in a plastic case with my writing Organ 75 in sharpie pen.

My assumption now is that the Organ brand has a thinner shaft at the top than Schmetz needles. Is this correct????
How do I know which larger size Organ needles to shop for? I've seen several listed as 'industrial', do I avoid those?
TIA, Jennifer
Old 11-24-2018, 06:38 PM
Banned

No, Organ needles have the same size upper part asany other 15x1 needle, which is the needle system you want for your Necchi. You definitely don't want industrial needles. I've never needed a jeans needle or other heavy needle to sew the bowl cozys. I've sewn them on several of my machines and have always used a 15x1 sharp needle in a size 11, or I'll go to a 14 if things get too thick. I buy Organ needles size 11 in bulk so I use this size for 90% of my sewing. Schmetz sharp needles are called Microtex.

Cari
Old 11-24-2018, 06:40 PM

It should take the 130 705H in Schmetz or Bernina or HAX1 Singer needles. I know Singer needles are smaller at the top than Schmetz. Maybe they would work.

You can't use an industrial needle, it would mess with your timing, as it will be a different length from the top of the needle, to the top of the eye.

Maybe there's some crud stuck in the needle hole?
Old 11-25-2018, 11:22 AM

Thank you for your information ladies.
Cari I don't know what machines you have but my Babylock was having a hard time going through the 8 layers so I called my dealer [he is cussing these fabric bowls]. He has had so many inquires, I don't think the newer machines have the umpha that the older mechanical machines do, my personal opinion.

I used quilting cotton and a Warm and Plush, which is 100% cotton and microwave safe, however it does feel and look thicker than the Wrap and Zap or other 100% cotton microwave safe products. I might save that for just one layer of batting for table runners.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:57 PM
Banned

Yes I use vintage machines from the 50s and 60s, mostly Brothers but I've also sewn the bowl cozys with my Singer 201-2 and 301 with no problems.

Cari
Old 11-26-2018, 03:06 AM

Perhaps you had the flat side in wrong. I have done this and the needle will not fit. It finally occurred to me to turn the needle slightly and it worked.