Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need advice about buying a vintage machine >

Need advice about buying a vintage machine

Need advice about buying a vintage machine

Old 01-28-2021, 05:45 PM

Default Need advice about buying a vintage machine

Hi,

I know nothing about antique/vintage sewing machines. I am interested in having one. I found one on a local social media site for $45.00. The serial number is what I think to be K7358074. It is a singer with a portable case. Maybe a a 99k. Anybody out there have a clue how much to restore one of these? The seller says it works.
Attached Thumbnails c6ac1146-1933-41a4-8048-b04e4ee07c94.jpeg  
Old 01-28-2021, 06:45 PM

That quite probably is a 99, but the serial number that is shown in the image is for the motor, not the machine. The serial number is on the bed, in front of the pillar. Since it is a mechanical machine, it is a whole lot easier to clean, oil and adjust than the more modern machines. Frequently, just cleaning and oiling is all that is needed. Do be careful cleaning the machine itself as it is quite easy to ruin the decals. Rubbing down with sewing machine oil and cotton balls or a cotton t-shirt rag will help improve the looks. The metal bits can generally be removed and polished with metal polish. Additional information can be found at How to Clean Up and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:27 AM

99's are great 3/4 straight stitch machines.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingfeverinNC View Post
Anybody out there have a clue how much to restore one of these? The seller says it works.
As Janey said, it's unlikely that it needs any kind of restoration, since it works. It most likely just needs cleaning and oiling, which anyone can do.
Offer her $25.00, since it's been for sale so long. She might take it.
bkay
Old 01-29-2021, 06:00 AM

Don't forget about the condition of the wiring....i always rewire anything that is around 50+ yrs old regardless of condition. Most folks simply replace the main power cord but seem to forget the wiring from the motor & light

As others said...most likely the 99K...bullet proof machine...enjoy