Need a darning foot for FMQ

Old 07-19-2012, 11:29 AM

Default Need a darning foot for FMQ

I have a Kenmore 1703 (158-17030) Super High Shank machine and I'm looking for a darning foot to use for FMQ. I tried using an adapter and using a foot for a short shank but that doesn't work. I've had no luck finding one and I don't want to try FMQ without a foot. I can just see me quilting my finger. LOL Can anyone suggest where I can find one?

I'm also looking for a cam that does the wavy or serpentine line for the same machine. I have a number of cams but not this one. These cams are grey but I think some of the other Kenmore cams also work.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:01 PM

Margaret,

I can't help with the darning foot, but I have a set of cams I can't identify. I'll post a pic and if they match yours maybe the one you need will be there.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails unidentified-cams.jpg  
Old 07-20-2012, 04:36 AM

Thanks for your reply. It's hard to tell from the picture but I don't think you have one. I'm not sure they would work with my machine though. They look a little different than mine. I'm not even sure they made one like I'm looking for. Thanks for trying though.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:43 AM

Margaret,

Well, we tried. Maybe if you posted a pic of your machine and the cams it uses someone else might have what you need.

Joe
Old 07-21-2012, 04:43 PM

Joe, your cams look like they might fit a White or New Home post WW2 Japanese made machine. I have some that are similar and that's what they fit.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:33 PM

Your 1703 is similar to my 1803 and even my 1802, if I remember correctly. It does beautiful FMQ with the monogramming foot and the pressure on the presser foot at zero or maybe just a teeny bit "on." The monogrammer foot is very short-toed and open - it's the best option that I found for a super high shank machine and it works just great. In fact, except for the smaller amount of space under the arm, you're going to get spoiled doing your quilting on this. The front-loading vertical bobbin is very forgiving and so easy to work with!

The monogrammer foot is shown in the manual, and there was someone on eBay who sold them - http://www.ebay.com/itm/280583590269 they call it a buttonhole foot, but the manual calls it the monogrammer foot. Hope that helps!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:22 AM

polyparrott, thanks for the tip. I never thought about using the monogram foot. I checked the others but I didn't think any of them would work. Since I have the monogram cams too I'm sure I also have the foot.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
Your 1703 is similar to my 1803 and even my 1802, if I remember correctly. It does beautiful FMQ with the monogramming foot and the pressure on the presser foot at zero or maybe just a teeny bit "on." The monogrammer foot is very short-toed and open - it's the best option that I found for a super high shank machine and it works just great. In fact, except for the smaller amount of space under the arm, you're going to get spoiled doing your quilting on this. The front-loading vertical bobbin is very forgiving and so easy to work with!

The monogrammer foot is shown in the manual, and there was someone on eBay who sold them - http://www.ebay.com/itm/280583590269 they call it a buttonhole foot, but the manual calls it the monogrammer foot. Hope that helps!
So glad to read of an option for the super high shank machines. The feet are hard to find (at least for me) and I couldn't seem to find any solution for the lack of a darning foot that would fit.