Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need help to choose VTG sewing machine >

Need help to choose VTG sewing machine

Need help to choose VTG sewing machine

Old 02-21-2022, 07:31 PM

Default Need help to choose VTG sewing machine

Hello everyone, I would like to get a Vintage machine and I need help to choose the right one for me. I want a VTG machine that does a lot of decorative stitching (doesn't matter if I have to buy cams ) to sew very heavy and light fabric and where I can quilt and run the machine for free motion embroidery, smooth and quiet machine cause I sew at night and I don't want to disturb my family. Can I find a machine with those qualities for me? I have seen a singer 401A, a pfaff 260 and a pfaff 332 automatic.I don't know if these machines that I have chosen do everything I need, if not I would accept suggestions of sewing machines from the 60's not from the 70's because those machines have nylon parts and I want the machine to have all its metal gears...forgive my writing but english is not my native language, thanks in advance.

Last edited by Dani940; 02-21-2022 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:02 AM

Before you invest in a vintage Paff make sure that the cogged timing belt is still available. Some are very hard to find. Welcome to the board..
Old 02-22-2022, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
Before you invest in a vintage Paff make sure that the cogged timing belt is still available. Some are very hard to find. Welcome to the board..
Thanks for answering, I already know that and I can get it on ebay. but I would like to know which of these sewing machines would be my best choice or if there are other better options?.
Old 02-22-2022, 04:17 PM

First, there's no such thing as having only one vintage machine, so you might as well plan on getting as many as you "need" to do what you want.

That being said, I think you can find one machine to do most of what you want. Here are pictures of two I have, the first is a Japanese manufactured machine from the 1960s with built in patterns, but no capability for cams. You can find lots of these Japanese made all metal machines with different capabilities.

The second is a Singer 503 with basic features but cam capability, including a necessary cam to do basic zig zag. You mentioned a 401 which has built in patterns as well as cam capability. I am in the middle of working on my first 401, so I can't tell you much, but you can search the board. The Singer 500 Rocketeer is much like the 401, only much neater looking in my opinion.

I think you may be limited only by your budget.
Attached Thumbnails 20220222_180516.jpg   20220222_180538.jpg  
Old 02-22-2022, 05:33 PM

I have to agree with Joe. You can never have just one vintage machine. A few years ago I got my mom's 301 out and decided to sew on it. She always complained about that machine, but I love it. My first featherweight (Centennial) followed soon after, then a 503, a white FW and now another black one that I'm hopefully going to get painted. As far as what you want, the 503 would probably do most of it. I have one with all the cams, but have never used them. The only thing I use is straight stitch and occasionally zigzag. I have a 90's Bernina I use for my decorative stuff. I've never used a 401, but it might do what you want and will probably be cheaper than a 500 series. Rocketeers are always popular and sell for a fair amount of money. That being said, I saw one at an estate sale that I'm still kicking myself for not buying. It was $65 in a case. No idea is if was running or not.
Old 02-22-2022, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I have to agree with Joe. You can never have just one vintage machine. A few years ago I got my mom's 301 out and decided to sew on it. She always complained about that machine, but I love it. My first featherweight (Centennial) followed soon after, then a 503, a white FW and now another black one that I'm hopefully going to get painted. As far as what you want, the 503 would probably do most of it. I have one with all the cams, but have never used them. The only thing I use is straight stitch and occasionally zigzag. I have a 90's Bernina I use for my decorative stuff. I've never used a 401, but it might do what you want and will probably be cheaper than a 500 series. Rocketeers are always popular and sell for a fair amount of money. That being said, I saw one at an estate sale that I'm still kicking myself for not buying. It was $65 in a case. No idea is if was running or not.
Thanks again for answering Joe Jr and cash_mom:
All vintage metal gear machines can sew thick fabrics, but sometimes it is difficult with thin fabrics.Today I confirmed that the singer 401a and the pfaff sew both thin and thick fabrics, all 3 machines have decorative stitches, also the 3 machines deactivate the feed dogs for free motion and I heard that the singer 401 is a bit quiet. At this point I have almost completely covered all my needs in a single machine. Why would I need to buy so many machines for basic things that every vtg machine includes? I know that many vtg machine do not have decorative stitches, but the machines that I chose use cam, so that is a plus. Besides, I don't have space, I have overlock, coverstitch, and a straight machine. Does the singer 500 rocketeer lift the presser foot high enough??? that is all that is needed for quilting. If so, that means the 401a does it too (that would be the winning machine) Thanks I appreciate all your comments.

Last edited by Dani940; 02-22-2022 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 06:44 PM

Having a lot of vintage machines has nothing to do with having to have them and everything to do with wanting to have them.
Old 02-23-2022, 07:44 AM

this should be pinned Patrice S.
Old 02-23-2022, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dani940 View Post
"also the 3 machines deactivate the feed dogs for free motion"
I don't believe the 401a drops it's feed dogs. If so, I've really missed something important about the 401.

bkay
Old 02-23-2022, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
this should be pinned Patrice S.
Good idea, Leon

Last edited by cashs_mom; 02-23-2022 at 06:42 PM.