Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need help finding a specific fabric. >

Need help finding a specific fabric.

Need help finding a specific fabric.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:16 PM

Default Need help finding a specific fabric.

I'm in the process of restoring the case to my Mom's HOTHER sewing machine. The case was severely damaged by moisture and the associated mold and mildew.
I've gotten the wood repaired on the bottom and top and now I'm trying to match the fabric that it was originally covered with.

I've tried the internet, and every fabric shop I've been too. Nothing.
So I'm hoping someone here might either have some of this material, or know a real source for it.

The material was a black cloth, perhaps a cotton or a rayon, I don't know. When it rips there is a lot of fibers in it. It had an alligator pattern.

I have several of these cases in both black and brown and covered with cloth and something that resembles wall paper.

Here's a couple pics. The first is the case with what's left of the original fabric, and the second is a pic of a piece of felt with that pattern I found at JoAnns today.

Any help will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails side-rotted-case.jpg   img_3526.jpg  

Last edited by J Miller; 04-16-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:25 PM

Hmmm -- I don't see any picture...
Old 04-16-2012, 07:21 PM

There be two of 'em. You probably looked as I was editing them in. I hit the wrong button the first time and posted with out the pics.

Joe
Old 04-16-2012, 09:28 PM

I think I'd be tempted to go with a wallpaper instead of the felt...
Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 PM

How about maybe getting a really thin black leather or a light weight vinyl ? I bought a really nice (thin) leather skirt at a thrift shop for $2 and custom made a cover for an Ipod and business card holders. Also, made something else, but can't remember what it was ???
Old 04-16-2012, 10:03 PM

Joe, What if you were to strip the boxes to just the wood and then coat the wood with numerous layers of Tung Oil.
Does the wood look nice enough to do this? If so, I would go that way since it would be much easier to do.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Joe, What if you were to strip the boxes to just the wood and then coat the wood with numerous layers of Tung Oil.
Does the wood look nice enough to do this? If so, I would go that way since it would be much easier to do.
That's what I was thinking (but maybe waxed if Tung Oil is not your choice). I understand you are trying to maintain integrity of the piece, but I think it may be difficult. There is a bit of a renegade in me that would pick something a bit on the wild side, (for some reason zebra print popped into my head) but I know that's not everyone's cup of tea
Old 04-17-2012, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I think I'd be tempted to go with a wallpaper instead of the felt...
Charlee,
I'm not going to use the felt. I just posted a pic of it to show a clear picture of the pattern I'm looking for.
I checked with the wall paper place here in Springfield and they didn't have anything like this.

This pattern was popular back in the 50s, but looks to be extinct now.

Joe
Old 04-17-2012, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by slk350 View Post
How about maybe getting a really thin black leather or a light weight vinyl ? I bought a really nice (thin) leather skirt at a thrift shop for $2 and custom made a cover for an Ipod and business card holders. Also, made something else, but can't remember what it was ???
The covering on these cases is glued on. I'm not sure ( not sure as in no experience in doing this ) that I can glue the leather or vinyl to the wood so it will stay.

Joe
Old 04-17-2012, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
That's what I was thinking (but maybe waxed if Tung Oil is not your choice). I understand you are trying to maintain integrity of the piece, but I think it may be difficult. There is a bit of a renegade in me that would pick something a bit on the wild side, (for some reason zebra print popped into my head) but I know that's not everyone's cup of tea
The original cloth was glued on with some sort of black asphalt adhesive. It has stained the wood badly in a number of places. The bottom is also stained by mold in a place or two.
It's mostly made from plywood so the wood itself is nothing to really look at.
If I didn't use fabric to cover it, I'd probably paint it black and try to texture it somehow.
But I'd much rather find something real close and give it a try.

Here is a pic of a sample of the original covering. You can see how fibrous it is.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails fabric-sample-hother-case004.jpg