Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need Help Identifying Kenmore/Griest Attachment. >

Need Help Identifying Kenmore/Griest Attachment.

Need Help Identifying Kenmore/Griest Attachment.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:34 AM

Question Need Help Identifying Kenmore/Griest Attachment.

Hello!
Today while at my local thrifting stomping ground I came across this attachment for only a dollar. *nods* Totally thought I had a walking foot that may fit one of my machines. But now i'm not so sure. The leaver slides side to side rather than the traditional walking foot backwards and forwards. It also doesn't seem to fit a normal shank. It's a bit odd.

Any help or youtube link is greatly appreciated. As always there's a photo album with more pictures if needed here: http://imgur.com/a/hRRTX

[ATTACH=CONFIG]462650[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]462651[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]462652[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]462653[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]462654[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]462655[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]462656[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bq8fn7e.jpg   zuurrt3.jpg   kgbl2xf.jpg   wfacemr.jpg   uneimlt.jpg  

xh1xbka.jpg   xzcmha1.jpg  

Last edited by foufymaus; 02-16-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:57 AM

Looks like it might be a zig-zagger. If you decide you don't want it, I would love to have it for my vintage Kenmore! PM me, if you want to sell it!
Old 02-16-2014, 02:25 AM

That is regular zig-zag attachment made to fit White top clamp sewing machines (which included Kenmore for a time). It may also work with other top clamp machines, but you'd have to try as White has a forward needle compared to the others. I know this causes problems with the buttonholers, not sure if it would with this. I have not attempted to put this on any machine other than the White (so far)

However there are similar units made for National and Free/New Home, which are also top clamp, and they have a different attachment method. They have the top clamp style where you do not remove the top clamp "clamp"

With the White/Kenmore style, you remove the top clamp "clamp" and this connects right to the round presser foot bar.

The number settings on the side regulate the width of side to side movement.

BTW - there is another very similar style "Decorative Stitcher" that has very small cams that can be installed to make the unit do more than plain zig zag.

This shows a "White" decorative stitcher, and "White" zigzagger and a "Wards" (National) Decorative Stitcher. The White came with 6 cams, the Wards with 5, and there is no room for a sixth in that holder.

and the attachment end - two came with the edge stitcher, the third does not have this option. See the little screw hole and pin on the front plate? That is where the edge stitcher attaches.

Side by side - the plain zig zag unit does not have the ability to change cams. If you look for the decorative, make sure you get the cams as they are often missing. I asked one seller if it had cams. He said he didn't know, but it did have 6 ninja looking things if that was what I meant.

There is also the green cased one for Domestic, which by this time was made by White - and there are also side clamp versions. I'm still looking for one that fits the Free/New Home.

And don't confuse this with the blind hem unit. It's basically the same thing but only "zigs" ever 4-5 stitches for the "blind hem" look. Though the blind hem units I have are light yellow in color, but I'm not sure if that is the only color they came in.

Last edited by Macybaby; 02-16-2014 at 02:33 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:40 AM
Banned

these are soooo cool....