Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need help identifying some feet and a box >

Need help identifying some feet and a box

Need help identifying some feet and a box

Old 10-09-2013, 01:45 AM

Default Need help identifying some feet and a box

I'm thinking of buying this lot. I'm not sure if these feet were originally in this box, but the box is interesting. I recognize some of the pieces, like the early underbraider and shirring plate on the upper left, and the tucker and ruffler.

I'm really interested in the detachable hemmers. I circled one and labelled it "1". The slide-in style is similar to the hemmers from the early 66 back clamp machines, except they're side clamp. There are two other hemmer pieces in the upper left and a binder on the lower right that look like they would slide into the #1 shank. What concerns me is that the clamp part of this shank, the part that is screwed to the machine, appears to be too far to the right. It seems like the needle will not line up with the needle hole. So I'm wondering if this piece is adjustable. I can't tell from the picture.

The other question I have is about the piece I labelled #2. What is it?

The other binders and hemmers are interesting also. (There appear to be some duplicates.) I haven't seen this style before and I wonder if they are Singer.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]440362[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer-mystery-box1.jpg  
Old 10-09-2013, 02:28 AM

# 2 looks like a button foot - used for stitching in buttons on a zig zag machine but I wonder if a machine with an attachment box like that had zig zag. don't know about your other questions.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:20 AM

Kate, it does look like a button foot! But you're right -- it looks too old. Also, I just realized that it looks like the needle would hit somewhere in the solid part of the foot. I cut it out of the picture and placed it next to one of the other feet and the open part of the foot is quite a bit forward of the needle hole of the other foot. I've been looking around at various attachment sets and I can't find one with this type of "hardware" inside.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:34 AM

#1 is to make rolled hems. It works similar to the one to the right and slightly below but makes a wider hem.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:58 AM
Power Poster

Wow. Those look like low shank attachments. You might get to use them. I have tons of the other kind.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:55 AM

I know this has ended - for future reference, there are two different partial sets of attachments here. #1 has both the hemmer and the attachment foot. There are a few other hemmers and the binder right in front that would go with the attachment foot. The larger pieces in the upper left also go with that "set". I have this set with the back clamp, and this is the first one I've seen for the side clamp. I'd estimate it's from 1900-1920.

then there is the second group - that has the much heavier looking attachment part - and it is part of the foot not a separate piece. These would go with the box. I'd assume the tucker and ruffle belong to the second set, but not sure on that one.

I am sorry I did not post earlier - however I've been "watching" this set since it was listed as I have been after a SINGER marked box - and they never go cheap! I expected I'd have to pay near $50 to get it, as this one is in nice shape and comes with the second set of attachments along with those that would have come in the box.

I'll post pictures of that #2 foot when I get it - and then we can hopefully figure out exactly what it is!
Old 10-10-2013, 03:46 PM

The screw at the back of the #2 foot makes me think quilting foot or hemmer foot. The screw would hold the bar.
Like a variation on this one:
http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...ges/image6.htm
Top Left corner

Or this one:
http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...ges/image5.htm
Old 10-11-2013, 02:10 AM

Macy, the "heavier" hemmers and binders look nice. The seller said some of the pieces are marked Greist. She also said the hinges are broken on the box. Please let us know if the attachment piece for the hemmer has a movable shank, or if it is just an illusion that the shank looks too far to the right. The lot went too high for my blood, so glad you got it. I'm looking forward to seeing how some of these feet fit on the box hardware. BTW, when you didn't reply I thought it might be because you were going to bid!

Tammi - I was thinking it might be a quilting foot. Somehow the opening seems too far forward, as if the needle might hit the metal, but that could be an illusion. There is a quilting guide bar piece (but no bar) to the left of the tucker. I thought it was the type that slides onto the presser foot screw, but maybe it slides onto the screw on the foot, like you said!
Old 10-11-2013, 05:35 AM

I've found a picture of the box on the Singer Yahoo group - it says it's for the VS2 fiddle base singer. The tucker and the ruffler don't go with the box, they go with the second set.

Now I'll have to be watching for the pieces that complete the box set - this is how it always works. I bought it for the "Singer" marked box, now that I've found out more about it, I want to complete the set. I've seen the ruffler, shir plate and underbraider on ebay at times. I don't think I've ever seen the tucker.

Many of these were not sold in the US market as " we" got the wooden puzzle box sets, not the metal tin sets. Often times they are cheap enough bought from a European site to afford the shipping.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
Tammi - I was thinking it might be a quilting foot. Somehow the opening seems too far forward, as if the needle might hit the metal, but that could be an illusion. There is a quilting guide bar piece (but no bar) to the left of the tucker. I thought it was the type that slides onto the presser foot screw, but maybe it slides onto the screw on the foot, like you said!
I think that the quilting guide bar piece you're seeing might slide onto a bar, which might be pinned by the screw, like in the 1st link I posted from the Smithsonian. I could swear I have something like that around here. I will look later. You're right, the opening does look off. It will be interesting to find out if there's a Singer part number on the back of it. It looks weird for a Singer foot.