Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need help learning applique' on my Singer 500E Rocketeer >

Need help learning applique' on my Singer 500E Rocketeer

Need help learning applique' on my Singer 500E Rocketeer

Old 08-11-2022, 07:14 AM

Default Need help learning applique' on my Singer 500E Rocketeer

Hi all,
I am having a lot of fun with the Singer 500 I acquired this summer. I even pieced and completed my very first quilt on it (QAYG, with sashing, for my mom). Now I am doing a sampler BOM (Scott Flanagan's Illusions) to learn more techniques. The current block is all about applique' and the designer used a blanket stitch to attach the applique'. I COULD use my daughter's Brother 1900SE to do the recommended blanket stitch, but I won't have access to her machine forever and want to get ideas for stitches I could use on my 500. I know I could use a regular zigzag, but wondered if you all had any other suggestions? I believe I have the set of fashion disks that originally came with it, but honestly, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the myriad ways you can combine these! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-11-2022, 07:53 AM

The blanket stitch has the zigzag straight out and back in. The closest that can be done with the 500 would be setting BO or with cam #8 & 174528 Blind Stitch cam. I don't know if you can play with the stitch length & width. It looks like there is only a couple of stitches between the zigzag stitch on a true blanket stitch.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.