Need help

Old 07-19-2017, 02:24 PM

Default Need help

Trying to find out what this sewing machine is worth.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

Have you checked sites like Ebay? Sometimes you can get a good idea there. Can you provide us with a picture?
Old 07-19-2017, 03:48 PM
Banned

We can't tell you anything without knowing what machine you're asking about.

Cari
Old 07-19-2017, 03:52 PM

Values are subjective. If it's in demand and there aren't many around, then the value is higher - the old supply and demand thing. Certain sewing machines are more common in some areas than others, so they are worth less. Keep in mind that millions of sewing machines were made in the last 100+ years and not too many people sew these days. So, it depends on where you are and how many of X machine are out there.

For example, take the 411G currently being discussed on this site: 1965 Singer 411G in original treadle spec: ) Rare??. It's unusual to find one in the US, but there is no huge demand for treadle sewing machines, even an unusual one. However, if you took it a meeting of sewing machine geeks, you might get $1,000 for it (Yes, there are such meetings.). If you tried to sell it in Dallas on Craig's list, you would probably be real lucky to get $200. for it.

Generally speaking, working vintage sewing machines are worth somewhere between $25.00 and $300. If you have the attachments and accessories, a manual, a cabinet, and it's in good condition, it will usually add to those amounts.

We might be able to tell you, generally, where on that spectrum your machine would be might fit if we saw a photo.

If you want to know what you have - we can usually identify most machines from a photo - or, give you a category it fits in. That way you can do your own research into it's value where you are.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 07-19-2017 at 03:57 PM. Reason: new idea
Old 07-19-2017, 04:25 PM

My opinion - what a seller is willing to sell it for and what a buyer is willing to pay.
Some other thoughts on the subject can be found at "How Much Is My Machine Worth?" Question Answered
Another thought is if an antique dealer says it is worth a certain amount ask if they will buy it for half of that amount. I sincerely doubt they would. Also ask if they have sold for that amount or how long they had sitting in their store.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:59 PM
Banned

I've never met an antique dealer or appraiser yet that, when questioned, actually knew the first thing about sewing machines.

Cari
Old 07-20-2017, 02:29 AM

The modern looking treadle would sell much higher in Amish country.

Marcia