Need help with vintage Singer

Old 09-30-2021, 02:14 PM

Default Need help with vintage Singer

I picked this one up a a yard sale today, no idea what t is. It has a rotary hook like the 201 but with a different retaining bracket. The tension dial and hand wheel clutch both have different parts from the standard Singer.
Attached Thumbnails singer2.jpg   singer3.jpg   singer1a.jpg   singer4.jpg   singer1.jpg  

Old 09-30-2021, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dressmaker View Post
I picked this one up a a yard sale today, no idea what t is. It has a rotary hook like the 201 but with a different retaining bracket. The tension dial and hand wheel clutch both have different parts from the standard Singer.
That is a Singer model 101. It was the first Singer domestic machine specifically to be electrified. It originally had what is called a potted motor, which was built into the machine.

There is a blog that has lots of pictures of a 101 and some information at http://steelsewing.blogspot.com/2018...chine-101.html

A manual can be found at https://www.singer.com/support

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 09-30-2021, 06:59 PM

Singer 101. Thank You so much Janey. Someone went to a lot of trouble replacing that potted motor didn't they?
Old 09-30-2021, 07:30 PM

Indeed. I'm wondering if it ever did work? While the part is called Bobbin Winder Bracket (belt cover), I'm pretty sure the hand wheel wasn't made for a belt. It doesn't look like the hand wheel is shaped to accept a belt. Also it doesn't look like the belt would have a clear path to the motor as the Bobbin Winder Bracket looks to be in the way.

Old 09-30-2021, 08:39 PM

I believe it did work at one time. I'll try one of those stretchy Singer belts. I also need to remove the bobbin case. I can't figure it out. Any ideas?
Old 10-01-2021, 05:36 AM

Good luck, particularly since the wheel does not have a groove for the belt. I don't have a clue about the bobbin case on the 101. I don't have one, not sure even seen in real life. Have you tried youtube?

Old 10-01-2021, 07:02 PM

Ive cleaned the hook and bobbin case fairly well without disassembly. I would still like to take them apart just incase I have a tread jam in the future. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails singer101hook.jpg  
Old 10-13-2021, 12:46 PM

The Singer 101 will indeed sew with an external motor and belt.
Attached Thumbnails singer-101belt.jpg  
Old 10-14-2021, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dressmaker View Post
Ive cleaned the hook and bobbin case fairly well without disassembly. I would still like to take them apart just incase I have a tread jam in the future. Does anyone have any suggestions?
If you take the bobbin case apart any further do so with parts inside of a bin of some kind, I find this much better than dropping those tiny screws onto the floor where they seem to become invisible. But, unless you see some crud or thread underneath, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" might be a good adage to apply.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the advise Joe. Im going to star clear of the tension dial also. It looks pretty complicated to reinstall.

Attached Thumbnails singer101tensiondial.jpg